Lots of new stuff this month..New today on FMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of new stuff this month..New today on FMP

We have just published almost 4 million Welsh parish registers on findmypast.co.uk

This is the first time that the complete Welsh parish baptism, marriage and death records have been published online and is fantastic news for anyone with Welsh ancestors.

The records cover Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Glamorganshire. Further details are as follows:

Baptisms: 1,418,921 records covering 1538-1911
    Marriages: 950,254 records covering 1539-1926
    Banns: 340,002 records covering 1701-1926
    Burials: 1,169,685 records covering 1539-2007
    Coming soon are records for the following counties: Anglesey, Brecknockshire, Caernarvonshire, Merionethshire, Monmouthshire, Montgomeryshire, Pembrokeshire and Radnorshire.

No housework done today for some of you!

Linda

That's great news as I have Welsh (Cardiganshire) g grand parents.
    May consider some subscription to FMP now.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Linda - that should help me sort my Roberts's & Jones's out :D

Comment

So what is FindMyPast? I hadn't heard of it before. Is it a competitor to Ancestry; that sort of idea?

Comment

Hi PC yes that's right. Go on there and have a look, has some different things to Ancestry

Linda

Comment

Even when they have the same thing (CENSUS!), the index was made by FMP, so things that might not be indexed correctly on Ancestry may be found on FMP.

Also, FMP has indexed address and occupation for most of the census years - another bonus

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the information. My wife's father came from just outside Swansea so I may now be able to delve further into his ancestors.

Researching a name like Davies in that area is never easy though

Cheers, Ian

Comment

Interesting if there is a significant alternative to Ancestry. Here in North America we are inundated by Ancestry ads but don't hear about other alternatives. I really like Ancestry, but would be open to checking out an alternative. My subscription to Ancestry is close to expiring. Maybe a period with another company would provide some new info. Has anyone tried that approach? Did it seem beneficial?

Comment

I use FMP for free at the library (rather, they pay the subscription). Each has large databases, Ancestry's melds together better in my opinion, but I trust FMP's indices more, tho Ancestry allows users to submit index changes.

You can use FMP in PAYG. FMP also has a complete 1911 - it's been online for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
                    Interesting if there is a significant alternative to Ancestry. Here in North America we are inundated by Ancestry ads but don't hear about other alternatives. I really like Ancestry, but would be open to checking out an alternative. My subscription to Ancestry is close to expiring. Maybe a period with another company would provide some new info. Has anyone tried that approach? Did it seem beneficial?
                    You really need to do a comparison between the various sites and see what databases they hold to find which are the most beneficial to your research.
                    There are some common elements between Ancestry and Findmypast, e.g. census and BMDs, but it is the other bits you need to investigate.

Parish registers are coming online, which is a great help to research in England and Wales. Ancestry have PR collections from London, Yorkshire, Warwickshire, Dorset, Liverpool (amongst others), whereas Findmypast have collections from Wales, London, Manchester, as well as general ones from across England.
                    Military collections are common to both - but not the same ones, so you need to see which might help you.
                    Passenger lists are common to both, but again they hold different datasets.

Findmypast is basically England/Wales orientated, although there are now Findmypast Ireland and Findmypast Australian sites - whereas Ancestry is worldwide.
                    Elaine

Comment

I couldn't choose between Elaine, so I have both, usually bought as Christmas presents

Linda

Comment

If you keep your tree on Ancestry, it will continue to exist if your sub lapses BUT you won't be able to see the media that you've linked to events on the tree - unless you specifically save the image. Some index records can still be seen, however. You can also manipulate the tree if your sub lapses with ancestry (add/subtract/modify people or events).

Comment

This is the first time that the complete Welsh parish baptism, marriage and death records have been published online and is fantastic news for anyone with Welsh ancestors.

Coming soon are records for the following counties: Anglesey, Brecknockshire, Caernarvonshire, Merionethshire, Monmouthshire, Montgomeryshire, Pembrokeshire and Radnorshire.

Hardly complete then?
                          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                          X