Christopher Walton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Walton

I am trying to find the parents of Christopher Walton 1828-1913 of Coventry.

On his marriage to Hannah Chaplin it gives his father as John Walton, weaver.

Various trees give his parents as John Walton and Ann Maria Fawson, however;

1) I can find baptisms at St Michael's, Coventry for several of their children but not one for Christopher,

2) I can find no marriage for his parents (supposedly 17/5/1824) and on several trees Ann Maria is married to Frederick Walton.

I don't want to copy other people's information without being able to verify it.

someone on here said not all the coventry records were on ancestry. did the trees list the church? could you message those people asking about their sources? they may even have copies of the records.

Comment

I see that one of the witnesses at the marriage was Frederick Walton. Brother of Christopher, perhaps? Would finding Frederick's father help?

Also, might be a bit of a slog, but you could go through the various parish records for baptisms in Coventry in/around 1828 to see if you can find Christopher that way. And does Gosford Street (where Christopher was living when he got married) help at all?

STG
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

ooooooooooooo

I see that Christopher was a bit naughty as well, he got acquitted found not guilty... for riot & assault trial date 02 Aug 1847.. and with him was a JOHN FAWSON
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

i can see at least 4 children bapt to John and Ann/marie

Frederick 1824
          Charles 1826
          Wilson 1827
          Thomas & Stephen 1829

and then there seem to be

Eliza 1834
          John 1837
          James 1839
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-12, 17:05.
          Julie

Comment

Sorry not to have got back to you. I was unable to get on the computer again yesterday.

The other trees don't have the church for the marriage on them. Someone seems to have found the marriage as there is an actual date, but I suspect the others have just copied. Half the trees also have Ann Maria marrying Frederick Walton on that date too!

I have looked through all the St Michael baptism's for the date of Christopher's birth but only found his siblings. I will have to follow up them, find marriages etc to see if that gives me a clue. It seems strange if Christopher was also their son that he wasn't baptised in the same way.

Yes Julie, I found the trial record as well yesterday morning. On the previous page there is also an Abraham Fawson for riot and assault and I think he is Ann Maria's brother. I wonder why they were rioting - here were about 6 of them, but all found not guilty.

I think Abraham had a son, also Abraham, who converted to Mormonism and went to Utah. It is amazing what you can find out about families.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsmore View Post
              I think Abraham had a son, also Abraham, who converted to Mormonism and went to Utah. It is amazing what you can find out about families.
              I'm not suggesting this is wrong, but because the LDS Church practises baptism of ancestors there is a risk that this is wishful thinking rather than the person's actual ancestor.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

right I have found Ann M Walton living with her father John FAWSON in 1851. she has 3 children living with her and is stated as being married.. so where is John??

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1
                Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1152; Book: 2; Civil Parish: St Michael; County: Warwickshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 11; Page: 15; Line: 5; GSU roll: 464186.

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid
                Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2067; Folio: 144; Page: 31; GSU roll: 87329-87330.

1861: she states she is a widow on this census. :http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1
                Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 2201; Folio: 104; Page: 20; GSU roll: 542934.

1871: living alone but still classed as married: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8860
                Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3175; Folio: 49; Page: 14; GSU roll: 839245.

I am having a look to see if I can find her in other census. Will add them here so they are all together..
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-12, 11:19.
                Julie

Comment

Death

Name: Ann Maria Walton
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
                  Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1879
                  Age at Death: 73
                  Registration district: Coventry
                  Inferred County: Warwickshire
                  Volume: 6d
                  Page: 311
                  Julie

Comment

I can't seem to find her in 1861 though.
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      I can't seem to find her in 1861 though.
                      have now found her.. and added her to the other census details.
                      Julie

Comment

ok Frederick..

Name: Rederick Walton (lol!!)
                        Spouse Name: Caroline Clarke
                        Spouse Age: Full Age
                        Marriage or Bann Date: 11 Sep 1849
                        Event Type: Marriage
                        Parish: Leamington Priors
                        Father Name: John Walton--- Ribbon weaver
                        Spouse Father Name: James Clarke---accountant

1871:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7814
                        Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3181; Folio: 109; Page: 5; GSU roll: 839248.

1881:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=22806456
                        Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3073; Folio: 15; Page: 21; GSU roll: 1341733.

1891:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
                        Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2455; Folio: 147; Page: 22; GSU roll: 6097565.

1901: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1
                        Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2910; Folio: 86; Page: 20.

this looks to be Carolines death

Name: Caroline Walton
                        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
                        Date of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1872
                        Age at Death: 46
                        Page: 279
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-12, 11:59.
                        Julie

Comment

Wow, Thank you Julie for finding Ann Maria in the census and for Frederick's records.

Other people have put John's death as around 1838, so that would be why they aren't together on the census.

I really don't want to just copy other people's info without being able to verify it myself as there is no way of knowing how accurate they are.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsmore View Post
                            Wow, Thank you Julie for finding Ann Maria in the census and for Frederick's records.

Other people have put John's death as around 1838, so that would be why they aren't together on the census.

I really don't want to just copy other people's info without being able to verify it myself as there is no way of knowing how accurate they are.
                            no, I quite understand, re just copying folks' stuff without finding/checking yourself..

I havent found ANYTHING at all for Wilson.. makes me wonder if he was really Christopher!!...

did you have a look at the other children?? I didnt want to replicate things you had already found.. but if you haven't already..then I can make a start :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

I can't seem to find Fred/Caroline on the 1861, or Fred before either.. on 1851/1841..

James seems to be the last child born to Ann Maria...

oh and another thing.. of the trees I have checked there doesnt seem to be any mention of Wilson at all.. :conf:
                              Julie

Comment

I think Charles might have died

Julie

Comment

Thomas...

on the 1851 with his mum.

there is this marriage, but, its to an elizabeth but it gives his father as john-weaver.

so not sure now if the ones with Jane as a wife are right.

1861: ?

1871: possibly this one though I havent found a marriage yet: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1
                                  Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3181; Folio: 21; Page: 35; GSU roll: 839248.

1881:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1
                                  Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3073; Folio: 53; Page: 11; GSU roll: 1341733.

1891:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
                                  Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2454; Folio: 26; Page: 45; GSU roll: 6097564.

poss death

Name: Thomas Walton
                                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
                                  Date of registration: Apr-May-Jun 1895
                                  Age at Death: 66
                                  Page: 292
                                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-12, 16:31.
                                  Julie

Comment

Stephen:

marriage:
                                    Name: Stephen Walton
                                    Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1848
                                    Volume Number: 16
                                    Page Number: 608

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1
                                    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2067; Folio: 133; Page: 9; GSU roll: 87329-87330.

1861:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8860
                                    Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 2201; Folio: 80; Page: 6; GSU roll: 542934.

1871:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8860
                                    Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3182; Folio: 126; Page: 27; GSU roll: 839248.

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619
                                    Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3075; Folio: 95; Page: 26; GSU roll: 1341734.

death/burial http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...urials&indiv=1

Name: Stephen Walton
                                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
                                    Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1885
                                    Age at Death: 56
                                    Page: 274
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-12, 17:02.
                                    Julie

Comment

I am just sneaking a few minutes to look through what you have found Julie. I have noticed that in 1851, Stephen is on the same page as Christopher. And living with Christopher is 'brother' John a plumber. I will try and check out John when I get a minute.

Thankyou so much Julie. I really appreciate this.

Comment

No probs, I know what its like trying to do a zillion things as well as cook and tend to the little ones..
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X