Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Louis Potter, of the RAFVR - disappeared when he emigrated to Brazil in 1953

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Louis Potter, of the RAFVR - disappeared when he emigrated to Brazil in 1953

Hello everyone - I have been researching Harry (Lomath) Potter and his family: Marie Terese Frigier and children Frank Harry, Renee Alix and especially Charles Louis. Harry was originally from London and Marie from Pau, France. Harry went backwards and forwards to Argentina in the 1920s - he was a book keeper and I think a Bank Manager.

Charles Louis was born in July 1918 and as an Argentinian citizen was a volunteer in World War 2, joining the Argentine British Squadron. I believe he was one of two survivors who parachuted out of his plane (the other being FO Telford) and they may be members of the Caterpillar Club. I think too he was a prisoner of war - I would love to know more about all of that!

In 1947 Charles resigned from the RAF. In 1953 he emigrated from Argentina to Brazil, on the emigration papers it stated he was a pilot...and there my trail ends - I would welcome advice as to what I could explore now!

Thank you so much for reading this,
    Rachel

Have you seen this and found a book called Wings Of Thunder

you will know the squadron already but when I googled it came up with this, it's says photo's on request. Thought it might be an avenue of interest even tough it's a bit old!
    Last edited by Elaine; 29-02-12, 18:54.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine, will try to track that down, interesting, I had missed the link!
      Rachel

Comment

hello Rachel

do you have access to Passenger lists on Ancestry?

I can see some movement from Buenos Aires - New York in 1950
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

infact on most of the entries he is stated as 'Navigator'..
          Julie

Comment

Hello Julie, that is interesting, no sadly I can't get the overseas lists just to and fro the UK - when he left Argentina for Brazil in 1953 he was down as a pilot but he was a navigator in WW2 I think, any other info from the records would be much appreciated, any sign of a wife??
            Thanks so much, Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
              Hello Julie, that is interesting, no sadly I can't get the overseas lists just to and fro the UK - when he left Argentina for Brazil in 1953 he was down as a pilot but he was a navigator in WW2 I think, any other info from the records would be much appreciated, any sign of a wife??
              Thanks so much, Rachel
              the records list him as Charles L Potter, presumably he is just listed as 'crew' so no other info per passenger lists.. they all seem to stop around mid 1950s though..

the plane was a DC6 and it looks like it was mainly cargo. they flew into Idlewild Airport in Idlewild NY. 05 Jan 1955 that is the last sighting I can see of him.

I have looked on Familysearch (LDS) and there are a number of Potters on there, but nothing that matches him.. interesting though that some other passenger lists have a CARLOS potter as a navigator too...
              Julie

Comment

There are various references to a CL Potter of RAFVR in the London Gazette. His number is given as 143465. Don't know whether this might be your man? Rank was Plt Off and Flg Off, but squadron not given.

Also on Documents online in the Air combat reports there's a CL Potter and TM Telford, both of 35 Squadron, though, involved in combat on same date 21/1/44. Don't know whether you know Telfords initials?

If this is your man there may well be Operations Records books for his squadron (s) at the National Archives which would give a day by day account of what they were involved in. The ORB's are often very detailed and list crew for each flight, along with places, timings etc.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Justr remembered - some ORB's have recently appeared on the documentsonline site - see above link and both 164 and 35 squadron are on there.
                  Last edited by annswabey; 01-03-12, 09:32. Reason: spelling mistake
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you so much, I will check out Carlos Potter, I don't want to confuse them, but think we have my man!

Comment

Wow, I have an excellent record of Charles's Halifax being shot up over Magdeburg and limping back to England - need to keep cross referencing, but think this is the right man!
                      Thank you so much

Comment

Charles Louis Potter

I am Charles Louis Potter's ("Charlie") nephew and was quite surprised to read that soemone was trying to trace his whereabouts. I am his sister's (Renee Alix Potter) only son.
                        My Uncle Charlie flew in the RAF as a Navigator, I believe did a tour in the Pathfinders and did bale out twice, both times over England (he was never a P.O.W),. Reason for parachuting was first one due mechanical failure of his aircraft and the second apparently form damage to his aircraft over Germany and oredered to jump when over England. He was "demobbed" in 1946 as a Flt. Lieutenant and then flew with an International Argentine Airline called ZONDA that then became Aerolines Argentinas. He never "emigrated" to Brazil. In (I think 1953) he was transferred by the airline to Lisbon Portugal and he operated on International flight to many destinations. He married a French lady (he was fluent in French) in 1952. He died of a heart attack in February 1959 at the age of 39 in Rome (at the airport) just after deplaning from a flight that he was a crew member on. He is buried at the Anglican Church in Lisbon, Portugal beside some RAF crew memebers who rest in peace there as well. He had no children, his widow never remarried and is alive in France though in not good health.
                        I sincerely hope that this will be of interest to all,
                        Jack

Originally posted by ukfamilyhistory View Post
                        Hello everyone - I have been researching Harry (Lomath) Potter and his family: Marie Terese Frigier and children Frank Harry, Renee Alix and especially Charles Louis. Harry was originally from London and Marie from Pau, France. Harry went backwards and forwards to Argentina in the 1920s - he was a book keeper and I think a Bank Manager.

Charles Louis was born in July 1918 and as an Argentinian citizen was a volunteer in World War 2, joining the Argentine British Squadron. I believe he was one of two survivors who parachuted out of his plane (the other being FO Telford) and they may be members of the Caterpillar Club. I think too he was a prisoner of war - I would love to know more about all of that!

In 1947 Charles resigned from the RAF. In 1953 he emigrated from Argentina to Brazil, on the emigration papers it stated he was a pilot...and there my trail ends - I would welcome advice as to what I could explore now!

Thank you so much for reading this,
                        Rachel

Comment

Hi Aviajack,

welcome to the forum

it appears that Rachel hasn't been onsite for a while so you might be better off sending her a PM [private message] via this site, to do this you will need to click on her username on the left of the screen, you will get a drop down box and from there you can send her a PM.
                          Julie

Comment

We get all sorts of email come through to the FTF account, but it's always nice to see one like this!

We have had a message from an Argentinian gentleman who is living in Lisbon. He has visited the British Cemetery in Lisbon - Jardim da Estrela - where he found this headstone. By googling he has found this thread and has asked us to pass the photo on to interested parties.

I will send a message to Rachel (ukfamilyhistory) and Jack (aviajack) as they haven't been online for some time.
                            Elaine

Comment

how lovely is that? hope they both get the message

Comment

Working...
                              X