School logbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School logbooks

As Ancestry have just added some school records I thought I’d follow suit and make my own research available.

I have transcribed the earliest school logbooks for St Wilfrid’s school in what was then part of the parish of Cuckfield, Sussex but is now in Haywards Heath. These run from 1863 up to about 1889.

I have made a public tree on Ancestry called St Wilfrid’s School logbooks for many of the children, staff and others mentioned and annotated them with relevant extracts.
    These range from a simple name and date of admission to entries such as

“28 Jul 1863
    Emily Barnes lost her needlework during the dinner hour. The Third class very noisy; several punished. Alice Upton filled her pocket with peas from a neighbouring garden.”

I haven’t tracked down all the people yet so if you don’t have access to Ancestry or have a query about a child born from about 1855 or lived in Wivelsfield, Cuckfield, Lindfield or Haywards Heath let me know and I’ll see what I can find.

Hi Jill,

My family the Stevens (sometimes Stephens) were all born in Wivelsfield. Father Henry, Mother Jane all through the 1860's they lived in The Coach Inn Wivelsfield where Father was in Innkeeper

Frederick 1854......Jasper 1856......Samuel 1857....Mary 1861...Eli 1864...Rhoda 1867.

Wouls be very grateful if you could have a look for me
    Thankyou

Linda

Comment

Hi Linda, the only entry for a Stevens is
      Nov 5th 1866
      George and Ann Ford, Ellen and Sophia Hilton taken off the register. Left the district. Alice Stevens, Albert Williams, Emily Upton, Alice Farmer and Kate Cook admitted.

and for Stephens

12th Nov 1863
      Mr Stephens complained some of the boys had been throwing stones and had broken his window. Failed to discover who had done it but punished two or three who had thrown stones.

My OH and I have been wondering where the Coach Inn was as there's nothing of that name any more

Comment

I think it might be called the Cock Inn now

Thanks for loking for me

Linda

Comment

Yes I think that must be the one, (the other one is the Fox & Hounds)

Comment

Working...
          X