A mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mystery

In The Times 17.2.1939 the engagement was announced between Nico Vincenzo, youngest son of Colonel M Moederle and Countess Alberti Moederle of Gardone, Riviera, Italy and Mary Hammond, only daughter of Mr & Mrs E.J.Colthup of Howletts, Chilham, Canterbury. The marriage took place in Italy on 24.2.1940.

The London Gazette 18.2.1949 list of Naturalisations includes Moederle, Mary Hammond; Italy; Via Cornella 106 Gardone Riviera, Lago di Garda, Italy. 18.10.1948 http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...s/876/page.pdf

As far as I can see all the other naturalisations have a UK address as one would expect. Why is Mary applying for naturalisation when she was born British? Did UK nationals living in Italy during WWII have to surrender their British citizenship? How is she doing this when she still lives in Italy?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by webwiz; 29-02-12, 18:31.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

I don't know the answer I'm afraid; my best guess is that perhaps dual nationality wasn't allowed in those days, so she may have automatically taken her husband's nationality on marriage. Not sure why she would have wanted to get her British nationality back after the war, though. Do you know if she carried on living in Italy, or returned to the UK?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-02-12, 19:37.

Comment

I've found some possibly confidential information, so I'll send you a PM.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-02-12, 19:36.

Comment

My grandmother,who was Irish by birth,married a Spaniard.She was then ,as I understand it ,considered to be Spanish. After he died she had to apply to be British.
        As I write this I realize that I have no proof,but this is what she said!
        Fran

Comment

Some useful info here

British subject status was lost by women when they married a foreign man. However The British Nationality Act 1948 came into force on 1st January 1949 and gave women the right to retain their British subject status. I presume women who had previously lost that status then had to apply to have it back again and it looks as though timing of Mary's application ties in with that.
          Jackie

Comment

Ah, that sounds very plausible, well done.

Comment

Working...
            X