Holloway Prison Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holloway Prison Records

Is there anywhere to research Prison Records?

My Gran used to tell me a story about an 'Aunt' of mine that spent time in Holloway for Infanticide.....I would be interested to discover more

Many thanks

Debs

Hi
    Do you have a name for the "aunt" & a rough idea of the year/place. There might be something in the archive newspapers.
    Moggie

Comment

It would probably have been in Surrey or Southwark, London.

Her maiden name was Quartermaine, I dont think she married. I am guessing this was very late 1890's into early 1900's

Its just something that has always intrigued me from being a small child and I would love to find out anything about it.

Do you need to subscribe to newspapers?

Many thanks

Debs

Comment

You can access The Times & 19th century British newspapers with a library card.
        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post

Do you need to subscribe to newspapers?
          They are sometimes available to view through your local library. Do you live in the UK - if so go to your library website and see if they have online access. If they do you would need to get a library card/Pin no. - you can then access them via your computer in the comfort of your own home!
          The main collections which you will find are generally available are:
          • 17th & 18th century Burney collection
          • 19th Century British Library newspaper collection
          • Times Digital Archives

.. oops, didn't see Moggie's reply!
          Elaine

Comment

I had a look in the "Blacksheep" index & found an Alice Martha Quarterman--Hendon--1896.
            I thought this looked promising so looked it up in the newspapers.
            Unfortunately it didn't concern an infanticide but a bigamous marriage.
            Moggie

Comment

Moggie that's fascinating as my Grandfathers Mother was a Hendon!! How do I get to see what you have posted?? And thanks for the link Edna, I will have a look through them
              Debs

Comment

Hi Debs
                I should have made it clearer. Hendon was the place not a surname.
                You will find details of the trial on Edna's link.
                Moggie

Comment

Lol! Thankyou, I am such a novice at this

I have had a look at the link, very interesting, I'm not sure if she is mine yet! I do have an Alice but it doesn't match her, I will keep on looking

Comment

No its not my Alice, however one of the other witnesses is a very distant Uncle Levi

Thank you

Debs

Comment

Working...
                    X