PDA

View Full Version : Holloway Prison Records

Debbss
29-02-12, 09:56
Is there anywhere to research Prison Records?

My Gran used to tell me a story about an 'Aunt' of mine that spent time in Holloway for Infanticide.....I would be interested to discover more

Many thanks

Debs

maudarby
29-02-12, 10:31
Hi
Do you have a name for the "aunt" & a rough idea of the year/place. There might be something in the archive newspapers.
Moggie

Debbss
29-02-12, 10:39
It would probably have been in Surrey or Southwark, London.

Her maiden name was Quartermaine, I dont think she married. I am guessing this was very late 1890's into early 1900's

Its just something that has always intrigued me from being a small child and I would love to find out anything about it.

Do you need to subscribe to newspapers?

Many thanks

Debs

maudarby
29-02-12, 11:17
You can access The Times & 19th century British newspapers with a library card.
Moggie

Elaine ..Spain
29-02-12, 11:25
Do you need to subscribe to newspapers?

They are sometimes available to view through your local library. Do you live in the UK - if so go to your library website and see if they have online access. If they do you would need to get a library card/Pin no. - you can then access them via your computer in the comfort of your own home!
The main collections which you will find are generally available are:

17th & 18th century Burney collection
19th Century British Library newspaper collection
Times Digital Archives

.. oops, didn't see Moggie's reply!

maudarby
29-02-12, 11:41
I had a look in the "Blacksheep" index & found an Alice Martha Quarterman--Hendon--1896.
I thought this looked promising so looked it up in the newspapers.
Unfortunately it didn't concern an infanticide but a bigamous marriage.
Moggie

clematised
01-03-12, 00:33
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/search.jsp?form=searchHomePage&_divs_fulltext=&kwparse=and&_persNames_surname=quartermaine&_persNames_given=&_persNames_alias=&_offences_offenceCategory_offenceSubcategory=&_verdicts_verdictCategory_verdictSubcategory=&_punishments_punishmentCategory_punishmentSubcateg ory=&_divs_div0Type_div1Type=&fromMonth=&fromYear=&toMonth=&toYear=&ref=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Not sure if any of these are yours

Edna

Debbss
01-03-12, 07:36
Moggie that's fascinating as my Grandfathers Mother was a Hendon!! How do I get to see what you have posted?? And thanks for the link Edna, I will have a look through them
Debs

maudarby
01-03-12, 09:59
Hi Debs
I should have made it clearer. Hendon was the place not a surname.
You will find details of the trial on Edna's link.
Moggie

Debbss
01-03-12, 10:57
Lol! Thankyou, I am such a novice at this:confused:

I have had a look at the link, very interesting, I'm not sure if she is mine yet! I do have an Alice but it doesn't match her, I will keep on looking

Debbss
01-03-12, 13:11
No its not my Alice, however one of the other witnesses is a very distant Uncle Levi

Thank you

Debs