19th century newspapers 1895 murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th century newspapers 1895 murder

THANK YOU I HAVE RECEIVED ARTICLES VIA EMAIL SO MY REQUEST HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

I was hoping that someone with access to 19th century newspapers would kindly be able to look up a murder in 1895. It is fairly well recorded on google but wondered if there was anything more in the papers of the day. There is an article in a foreign newspaper.

It is regarding the murder of a distant ancestor Jane Youell who was killed by her boyfriend Joseph Canning in Bermondsey 1895.

Canning was subsequently hung.

I am sorry to ask this, somewhere I have a card and password but have hunted everywhere.

Thank you for your time... Mandy
    Last edited by bubblebelle; 28-02-12, 21:31.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Have an article for you called

LOVE TRAGEDY IN LONDON

and one sentencing him

There's a few short lines on these dates below worthy of noting and a few reports in different parts of the country but the 2 main articles I have cover everything

LONDON, MONDAY, APRIL 29,1895 .
    The Morning Post (London, England), Monday, April 29, 1895; pg. 4

Joseph Canning was charged at Southwark Police Court on Saturday on his own confession, with the wilful murder of Jane Youell by cutting her throat, and remanded by Mr Plowman for a week

LONDON, MONDAY, April 29 .
    Daily News (London, England), Monday, April 29, 1895
    James canning was remanded at the Soutwark Police-court charged with the murder of Jane Youell in whose parents house at South Bermondsey he lodged. In surrendering himself to the police Cannining is said to have made a confession of the crime, giving as his motive that the young woman made him love her and then turned against him

PM your email and I will send them over
    Last edited by Elaine; 28-02-12, 20:04.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you both Elaine I will pm you re email. I appreciate your help.

Thank you too to Michael who is sending me an article in the times.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

On their way!
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you both. I now have 4 different reports with a bit more information.
          Last edited by bubblebelle; 28-02-12, 21:29.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just saw this and thought My Connings were sometimes known as Canning.
            Mine were from Kirkcudbright Scotland and Familysearch only has 1,000+ a few of this Conning/Canning name.
            My Connings moved from Scotland to Liverpool if you have any.

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna

I am afraid my family interest, in this event are the Youells, so I have no Cannings in my tree.

However this incident happened in London, of course he may have moved there. He was ex Army Medical Corps and at the time he murdered Jane, he was employed as medical attendant at an institute close to Manchester Square.
              Last edited by bubblebelle; 29-02-12, 09:45.
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
              X