Why would somebody lie about Childs Birth Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would somebody lie about Childs Birth Date

I recently found my Great Grandmother had Twins in 1894 Baptisms are on Ancestry 14 Feb 1894 says born 13 Feb 1894 , decided to send for Certs anyway as I was hoping for a clue or two as to what happened to their Parents , Birth Certs say time of Births, which is what I expected, but it also says Birth Date 26 Feb 1894 ??? Births were registered 6 Apr 1894 .
    Why on earth would she say that ?

One thought - there was an error, not a lie, and it could have occurred at least two places: the clergyman could have written the wrong date on the baptism, or the registration clerk could have done it. I vote for the clergyman

Comment

I think you only have 6 weeks to register a birth and 13th Feb to 6th April is more than 6 weeks.

Don't know what happened if you were over 6 weeks registering a birth but some one on here will.
      Last edited by Lin Fisher; 28-02-12, 15:25.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

thanks Photo and Lin , that makes sense about the 6 week bit .

Comment

My Grandad celebrated his birthday on 6th February each year although his birth certificate showed d.o.b as 16th February. He told me his parents had registered the birth late & had given the later (false) date to avoid paying the fine for late registration. He was from an Irish Catholic family for whom baptism was the priority. I don't know how much the fine would have been but a comparison of birth & baptism dates in my tree shows that my Grandad was by no means the first in his family with a real birthday & an official one

Comment

My Grandma was the same. She had an official birthday and a real birthday (like the Queen as she pointed out ;)). She told me her parents did it to avoid the fine. The only problem for her was that she was miffed because she had to wait to draw her pension until her "official" 60th birthday
            Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
              My Grandma was the same. She had an official birthday and a real birthday (like the Queen as she pointed out ;)). She told me her parents did it to avoid the fine. The only problem for her was that she was miffed because she had to wait to draw her pension until her "official" 60th birthday
              My Nan is the same... It's quite funny because with each of them (my Nan and her siblings) there was a mistake when registering.. Nan says it was down to my great grandfather being too enthusiastic when wetting the baby's head.. Lol..

Comment

thanks for all your replies seems it happened a lot ,one of my Uncles parents registered his Birth after their Marriage so he celebrated his Birthday a Month late all his life.
                Last edited by Guest; 28-02-12, 21:07.

Comment

my gran celebrated her birthday on the 10th of Jan .. wasnt till I got her birth cert found our it was the 18th Jan.. (the little slip she got when her mum registered her birth did have the date and place of birth on it, but due to it being folded, you didnt see the top part of the 8, so it looked like 0)..
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm sure my Birth Date must be wrong and I'm really only 24?:D

Comment

Blimey, that happened to me to Val, and Im only 30 next month

But back to your question, I remember this one from long ago when I first started research and it was, as already mooted, often done to avoid a fine for not registering them soon enough. Birthdays werent that important to people - I doubt if anyone got a card or cake back then

Comment

My Mum & several of her 9 siblings were like the queen & had a real & official birthday.
                        Mums real birthday was New Years Day & her official Jan 13th. As I grew up I told her I was going to keep the official one as it gave me a couple of weeks to save after Xmas! :D
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                          Blimey, that happened to me to Val, and Im only 30 next month
                          so your older than me then ???

it must be horrible having your birthday on or near xmas Viv ?

Comment

i've never been older than 21 ;) funny how many people have 2 b'days.

Comment

I might start going backwards now Kyle

Comment

and on the subject of birthdays and not getting any older....
                                Margaret Ware - who celebrates her 25th birthday tomorrow - has actually been alive for 100 years. She lives in Devon and is still very active, going for walks every morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X