Help Needed Please, Broughton and Quartermaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Please, Broughton and Quartermaine

Hello. I have recently started to create a family tree. Some of the lines have romped on and have been relatively easy to source and evidence.
    I am however having problems with my 2 Grandfathers.

1. Robert Broughton. Born Oct 1912, Mile End Old Town, London. Mothers maiden name Partlett.
    I have not been able to find a record of any marriage between a Partlett and a Broughton.

2. Charles Quartermaine. Born Dec 1920, Kingston Surrey. Mothers maiden name Henden.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get more information on either of these chaps? I think I will end upp having to purchase birth certs but am resisting as long as possible.

Many thanks
    Debs

FreeBMD has a marriage in Q3 1911 in St Olave between

Beatrice G Hendon/Heudon
    and
    Harry Quarterman/Quartermain

Vol 1d, Page 412

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Oh thank you for that.
      I have a Henden/Quartermaine marriage in Kingston, Surrey for Oct/Nov/Dec 1906. So because of the Kingston location I have 'adopted' this one.
      This is where I get confused, how do I prove which one is connected to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
        Oh thank you for that.
        I have a Henden/Quartermaine marriage in Kingston, Surrey for Oct/Nov/Dec 1906. So because of the Kingston location I have 'adopted' this one.
        This is where I get confused, how do I prove which one is connected to me?
        Unfortunately it's not one of the LMA records ancestry now has. I think the birth cert would be best as that would give both parents names and you could go from there. But certificates really are the only real proof for a family tree and for your direct line, getting them is really essential otherwise you could end up following the wrong people.

For Broughton and Partlett they may not have married so there would be no record.

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 27-02-12, 14:04.

Comment

Do you* have the marriage certificates for both your grandfathers (Robert and Charles), because if you do/did they would give the names of their respective fathers?

* or do you know who else in the family has them and would help

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            FreeBMD has a marriage in Q3 1911 in St Olave between

Beatrice G Hendon/Heudon
            and
            Harry Quarterman/Quartermain

Vol 1d, Page 412

STG
            Both of the marriages in 1911 are on Ancestry - you can see the certs there for some London marriages - and Beatrice Henden married Robert Lightfoot. Harry Quarterman married Maud Fieldhouse, so its not the right pairing.

The ones in 1906, Kingston are

Rose Ellen HENDEN or HEUDEN
            Robert Ernest JACKSON
            William Frederick QUARTERMAINE
            Margaret Jane WRIGHT
            Jackie

Comment

St Olave is not covered by the LMA records for certificates on ancestry.

If you can give us the full names of the parents involved we could have a look and see if an extra pair of eyes would help.

Margaret

Comment

I have not been able to find a record of any marriage between a Partlett and a Broughton.

She may have been married before and showing under that name in respect of the marriage.
                Margaret

Comment

Hello and Thank you for the replies.

I don't have the parents names I'm afraid, its all guess work at the moment. Looks as though I will have to order some certificates to pursue this any further
                  Grandfather Broughton was born deaf and dumb and we suspect he was 'sent away' as a small child. Whether this was adoption or just to a school no one knows. I have picked him up again (Marriage certs and electoral roll) when he married my Grandmother but the inbetween years are the ones that are missing, and his parentage.
                  Sadly both of my parents have recently died - I so wish I had started this when they were alive, they could have answered lots of my questions.
                  I do have an uncle Broughton still alive but his knowledge of Grandad is almost as vague as mine, he says it was never spoken about. (which adds weight to my theory of him being sent away)
                  The only thing he can remember with any clarity is Grandad saying he 'had 2 mums'.....but quite why or how we dont know.
                  Grandad Quartermaine does actually still have a living sister, who I have written to and await a reply. I am so inpatient and used to email - snail mail is so slow!

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    St Olave is not covered by the LMA records for certificates on ancestry.

Margaret
                    Re my post above - both of the marriages were in Rotherhithe which comes under St Olave. I've had several St Olave events come up on Ancestry - I think its classed as Southwark now
                    Jackie

Comment

Yes the Quartermaine/Henden marriage seems correct, I also found other children born to Henden with the correct names to be Grandad Quartermaines siblings.
                      Its the Broughton one that is frustrating me most

Comment

> ... I have picked him up again (Marriage certs and electoral roll) when he married my Grandmother

If you've got the marriage certificate between Robert Broughton and your grandmother, that would have Robert's father's name on it.

STG

Comment

My mistake, I dont have the certs, I meant the registration listing thats all, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                            Both of the marriages in 1911 are on Ancestry - you can see the certs there for some London marriages - and Beatrice Henden married Robert Lightfoot. Harry Quarterman married Maud Fieldhouse, so its not the right pairing.

The ones in 1906, Kingston are

Rose Ellen HENDEN or HEUDEN
                            Robert Ernest JACKSON
                            William Frederick QUARTERMAINE
                            Margaret Jane WRIGHT
                            There's a tree on ancestry for William Frederick and Rose Ellen and it shows 5 children, 4 are privatised and the 5th one is shown as Alice M born and died 1911. This is the family in 1911 census with 2 eldest children
                            QUARTERMAINE, William Head Married M 27 1884 Railway Labourer Surrey Wimbledon
                            QUARTERMAINE, Rose Wife Married 4 years F 25 1886 Surrey Tooting
                            QUARTERMAINE, Florence Daughter F 4 1907 Surrey Wimbledon
                            QUARTERMAINE, Frederick Son M 2 1909 Surrey Merton
                            Reference: RG14PN3486 RG78PN130 RD40 SD1 ED24 SN272

Address:
                            101 Haydons Road Wimbledon S W

Comment

Here's a link to the ancestry tree - the owner is in USA http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/353...68391021?ssrc=

Margaret

Comment

If you have the names of any older siblings to Robert Broughton we could probably find the family on the 1911 which would give you a lead.

Margaret

Comment

There are these two families on 1911 that may be relevant

BROUGHTON, Alfred E Head Married M 57 1854 Labourer General London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Jane Wife Married 35 years F 57 1854 Tailorest Ongar Essex
                                  BROUGHTON, Earnest Son Single M 21 1890 Labourer General London Stepney

and

BROUGHTON, Alfred Edward William Head Married M 34 1877 Labourer General London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Frances Emily Wife Married 13 years F 34 1877 London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Frances Emily Daughter Married F 12 1899 School London Stepney
                                  BROUGHTON, Alfred Edward Son M 10 1901 School London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Charles George Son M 8 1903 London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Florence Jenny Daughter F 5 1906 London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Ernest William Son M 3 1908 London Mile End
                                  BROUGHTON, Frederick John Son M 0 (4 MONTHS) 1911 London Mile End

Comment

Wow thats amazing!!

Off to have a look

Thank yo so much, I will be back shortly!

Comment

The Broughton info above is interesting as I know one of Grandads brothers had a tailors shop somewhere in the East End and you have the Mother down as a Tailoress in Essex - so far I have no names, waiting for replies back to me

Comment

Well the marriage for Alfred Edward William is to Frances Emily Drew so that's not them!

Comment

Working...
                                        X