Sadler family of Coventry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadler family of Coventry

I have decided to have another bash at working out the parents of Edward Sadler (1833) of Coventry. Now the Warwickshire Parish records are online at Ancestry I was really hoping to spot something new but have not so far, and wondered if someone would take the time to look at it for me.

Edward married Jane Barnes Bolton at St Michael's, Coventry on 31/3/1860 and gives his father as William Sadler, weaver.

I have found Edward living with Harriett (nee Sadler) and James Hitchen also in Coventry in 1851 and 1861 as Edward Hitchen. Harriett and James married in 1841 with Harriett, a spinster, giving her father as William, weaver.

In 1841 Edward is living with Jane Sadler, weaver.

I can't find Harriett in 1841, or Jane after 1841 -are they the same person?

The only baptism for an Edward I can find is to a Harriett and James Sadler at St Michael's in 1833 but I can find no marriage for the couple or subsequent children. I haven't so far spotted a James Sadler, but have found the baptism of 2 children with Harriett as mother.

Alfred 1825 at St Michael's. Illegitimate but gives father as William on marriage to Susannah Hyde. (names his children Edward, Harriett, William).

Henry 1823 son of Harriet and Thomas. Gives father as John on marriage to Louisa Keightly. Alfred and Henry are living together in 1841.

When a child was baptised, did both parents have to attend in order to be named? I know that people often made up a father to appear respectable on a marriage certificate. Did the same thing happen for baptisms?

Sorry this is rather long, but can any one find any link between the 'Sadler boys' or find James, Jane or Harriett?
    Last edited by beadsmore; 27-02-12, 12:27.

do you have dob for Harriett SADLER please I have looked but not finding the right one very easily..

it might be that the Jane that Edward is with on the 1841 is not his mother, it could be another relative... in which case you will need to be looking for a bapt with william as the father,
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Harriett SADLER gives her dob as 1804/5 and Jane as 1811.
      I haven't been able to find Jane after 1841, or Harriett before her wedding in Sept 1841.
      Not having any luck with a baptism for Edward with father as William.

Really feel like I am going round in circles with this family. I had the same problem with Edward's wife Jane Barnes Bolton, trying to correctly identify her mother's family, but then made a breakthrough when I discovered Edward and Jane as witnesses for a marriage. Keep hoping something will make sense.

Comment

I wonder if Jane remarries?? I did have a quick look but am in the middle of cooking dinner... lol.

is that your tree on Ancestry? for Jane BB?
        Julie

Comment

You'll find that not all Coventry records are online on the Ancestry site, unfortnately. There are some periods missing for some parishes.

Comment

I have found a bapt for a Harriett FADLER..lol.. and it does say SADLER on the image.. 13th Dec 1808.

Julie

Comment

I think I have a tree on Ancestry -not known for my IT skills! Jane Barnes Bolton is on several others who helped me work out who her mother was. I only put her on mine last week when I found her as witness to the marriage of a child from her mother's second marriage. Mine is the Roberts family tree, but it is growing slowly as I only add names when I am really positive and have all the evidence. Now the parish records are online it is making this easier but I think it will take me years.

Mary do you know if the records are missing or just haven't been transcribed yet?

I must go and get the children's dinner ready now then onto my other job of taxi driver - delivering them to various activiities!
              Last edited by beadsmore; 27-02-12, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                You'll find that not all Coventry records are online on the Ancestry site, unfortnately. There are some periods missing for some parishes.
                I wonder if they will be updated Mary?
                Julie

Comment

Thank you Julie, I hadn't found that baptism before.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsmore View Post
                    Thank you Julie, I hadn't found that baptism before.
                    well, I was thinking along the lines that if the children were illegitimate but the father was known to them, they would say their father was William wouldnt they??
                    its just us adding 2+2 and coming up with 4..
                    Julie

Comment

do we know what William Sadlers ? occupation is at all.. as on Edwards marriage the occupation is obscured by a dark shadow..
                      Julie

Comment

have you tried looking at familysearch at all??

Julie

Comment

Edward's wedding certificate was one of the first ones I got when I started my search. William was a weaver - which isn't particularly helpful as there were so many weavers.

I used FamilySearch when I originally started and this is where I found some info about Edward's wife, but other than the 1833 baptism of an Edward son of Harriet and James I have not found anything else useful and nothing that helps me to identify his family.

Comment

Working...
                          X