Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• presley/pressley

Hi,
    I can go back to Joseph Presley born 1791 in Norton Notts. Others then give leads back to his father Joseph and his father John and then his father Edward Presley born 1680 in Cuckney Notts. Here then I have a query. Others such as on the Ulley website show his father as Edward Presley senior born in 1668. Hmm, only this would make Edward senior as only twelve when he fathered Edward junior! Not sure about this, any ideas out there? I don't want to rely on tenuous assumptions!!

Welcome Keith

I noticed the name as I was helping my late cousin with her Pressley/Presslee line. It was in Dorset though.

A couple of things. Sometimes children where older when baptised and those dates would be baptisms rather than births in most cases. Of course, someone could have the tree messed up as well......that's not unheard of.

My Oh's tree is all non-conformists. They often were baptised just before or just after marriage. If the family didn't "need" the child baptised, they may have waited as well.

Comment

Hello Keith,

https://www.familysearch.org/ Has a baptism for a Edward Presley 22/11/1668, Cuckney, son of Houmfry (sic) Presley.

England and Wales marriages 1538 - 1940 on Ancestry has a marriage for Houmfrey(sic) Presley and Elizabeth Smith 16/05/1665, Cuckney.
      AUDREY

Comment

Hello Keith and welcome to the forum

Funnily enough I asked a exactly the same question on this forum sometime ago. Have a look at this thread http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...hlight=presley

I would agree that John's father would be the Edward which Willsmum has found. The problem I had next was that there are no other children of Houmfrey Presley born in the same place (Variously known as Cuckney, Norton and offically Norton Cuckney.

Further information which I have found which may be of help to you is that Joseph Skinner Presley was baptised on 30 July 1791 in Cuckney. His parents were Joseph Skinner and Martha Presley ( I have a will confirming that).

After that my information matches what you have found - with the same problem, i e proving it.

This is my mil's family by the way. It would be nice to findout where you tie in too
        Barbara

Comment

Hi, thanks for the posts! Barbara I agree that the problem is proving some lateral (wishful?) thinking! Anyway my link is briefly as follows. My father William Pressley born 1928 in Doncaster son of Walter Pressley born 1901 in Mansfield. His parents were William Pressley born 1869 and Sarah Swain. Earlier census returns show William as spelling Presley with one S such was the variation of spelling in those days. The father of William was Charles Presley born about 1840 the son of Joseph Skinner Presley. From there I have seen on the Ulleyweb and on the Petruski/Cruger family tree on Ancestry the links back to Joseph Presley (senior), John Presley and then Edward Presley (sometimes referred to as junior).

I cannot agree (believe) the link back to Edward Presley (senior). I would have to believe that he was born in 1668 after the marriage of Houmfrey in 1665 yet still fathered Edward junior in 1680!

Well physically possible I suppose but without more evidence I am not minded to push my lineage back to Houmfrey tempting as it is.

Lovely to correspond with you all.;)

Comment

The families link up at Joseph Skinner Presley's parents then.

I can confirm, thanks to his maternal grandfather's will that Joseph Skinner Presley was the son of Joseph Presley and Martha Skinner. From BIVRI records it has been found that Joseph was the son of John Presley. My mil is descended from his brother Charles. My fil is also descended from Ann Presley, sister of Joseph Skinner Presley

I think I am going to have to try and dig further back again, but I really don't thin Houmfrey is the way to go
            Barbara

Comment

Agree with you Barbara, we can go back to John then probably Edward (junior) but then I am unsure and wary of forcing any link to Edward (senior) and Houmfrey. Stuck down here in Kent I am restricted to internet sesarching but will post anything I find.:o

Comment

I have been in Cuckney graveyard in the past, which was unfortunately not much help. The churchyard has been allowed to go back to nature with sheep roaming around but that wasn't the biggest problem. The fenced off areas were.

I will also post anything I find
                Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                  I have been in Cuckney graveyard in the past, which was unfortunately not much help. The churchyard has been allowed to go back to nature with sheep roaming around but that wasn't the biggest problem. The fenced off areas were.

I will also post anything I find
                  are there not any Mi's for this Graveyard Barb??
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not that I've found yet Julie. There are a few bits online but it is nowhere near complete.

I need to revisit exactly what records are out there tbh
                    Barbara

Comment

Not that I've found yet Julie. There are a few bits online but it is nowhere near complete.

I need to revisit exactly what records are out there tbh
                      I see.. I wondered if the new library in M would hold anything? and they are open on a SUNDAY.
                      Julie

Comment

OOO hadn't thought about that Julie. They quite possibly do!
                        Barbara

Comment

OOO hadn't thought about that Julie. They quite possibly do!
                          its nice and airey there too, and you dont have to pay parking on a sunday at 4 seasons either... and the local studies section is quite comprehensive too..
                          Julie

Comment

Hi all,

Has anyone out there been attempting to find out the surname of Joseph Skinner Presley's wife? Different web sites suggest Jane Turton and Jane Davis (Davies). There is of course the entry of a marriage of Joseph Presley and Jane Turton in the records (pallot's marriage index). The Davis theory comes from a reading of Margaret her mother's surname as Davis from various census returns. Could this be a misreading of Dewis and could therefore this Margaret be the Margaret Turton who married Andrew Dewis of Clowne in 1801? He died in about 1809 but unfortunately the death duty records only record his son Jonathan and his widow (un named). I cannot prove any of this but only have access to Ancestry as a record base. If Jane was born a Turton the later (re?) marriage of her mother would explain the use of the name Dewis and the stated birth of Margaret as Wales would explain the interpretation of the handwriting as Davis? Hope this isn't too far fetched!!

Comment

HI Keith

Interesting thought re Jane. I have her down as Jane Davis BUT my only source for that is a submitted IGI entry.

Can you tell me on which census(es) you have found her with mother Margaret please?

According to the 1851 census she was born abt 1798 in Killamarsh. Also if you look at the attached image (hope you can see it) her mother is listed on that census as Harriet Davis (transcribed as Harry Perry)

Could someone check my reading of the image as well please - just in case I'm seeing things :o
                              Barbara

Comment

Hi Barbara, in the 1841 census her name is shown as Margat Davis mother of John Presley, a mistake as it is Jane who is the head of the family and her name is mistrancribed asJohn. In the 1841 census she is shown as Margret Dewes with an Ancestry subscriber alteration to Davis. On both these returns the reading of the surname as Dewis is valid. I cannot however find any reference on Ancestry to the birth of a Jane Turton to a mother Margaret so I am still in the land of lateral thinking!!

Comment

PS yes the naming in 1851 does show Harriet, possibly a miss hearing at enumeration bearing in mind the other two returns, cheers for now but any thoughts welcome

Comment

It looks like Harriet Davis to me Barbara. I wonder if people are getting the Margaret from the 1841 as there is a Margaret Davis (born out of county) living next door -

p.s. Sorry, I had been searching and hadn't checked back and seen Keith's reply before posting.
                                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 20-02-14, 20:02.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I see now - Keith means on the 1861 she is Margaret -

I was just wondering why these census and names looked so familiar to me Barbara - then I realised that I had looked for them before ;):D
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

Yes, I think I've had these wonderings previously too
                                        Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                        X