Not seen this before..any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not seen this before..any ideas?

On a death certificate 1942. Informant Alice Banks, causing the body to be buried

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 26-02-12, 21:16.

Is it possibly a death caused by an air raid as it is 1942?

Janet

Comment

No Janet. She was 86 and died in hospital of Congestive cardiac failure, Myocardial degeneration and Senility.

Linda

Comment

Just had a thought and googled the phrase.

It seems to mean that the person who died didn't have anyone they knew to 'inform' so it could be a hospital worker or a solicitor etc.. but the lady who informed had been her companion for about 15 years!

Linda

Comment

I think it means that Alice Banks was the person who made the funeral arrangements or set them in motion. She may have worked at a hospital as a nurse or in admin/secretarial role or she may indeed have been a solicitor, coroner or an undertaker or a representative of any of those three people.

Is there no address for Alice Banks on the certificate? If there is, try town directories of the correct date to see who or what was there in 1942.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-02-12, 22:02.

Comment

Alice Banks lived with her for the last 15 years as her companion. The strange thing is her Granddaughter is my husbands Auntie and she says that there were plenty of family around at the time

Linda

Comment

Ther are only certain people who can register a death and as Galloway Lass says, one of those is the person causing the body to be buried - picking up the funeral bill, that is (or at least in theory). It often covers a funeral director, who may register the death because relatives are too distraught to do it themselves but could cover anyone acting in a professional capacity to do with the death, or as in this case, a close companion who was not a relative and was not present at the death.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

Linda

Comment

On the death cert of my great uncle the informant was a worker in the nursing home he had lived in, it gives her name & home address & under qualification it says causing the body to be cremated.

Comment

My husband registered the death of his first mother-in-law. The Registrar asked him first if he was a relation and he explained that he was the son-in-law of the deceased, but he had been widowed and married again. She then said that he was no longer the son-in-law and would have to be referred to as the person causing the body to be buried. This was because he was not a relative and was not present at the death. I believe that this wording has to be used in such cases.
                    Shirley

Comment

Working...
                    X