Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh eyes needed please - missing in 1901, it's a bit complicated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh eyes needed please - missing in 1901, it's a bit complicated...

I apologise for the length of this story, hopefully I've explained things to be understandable, it is complicated as you will see as you go a long LOL

I have located My G grand father Arthur Manuell c1867 b Chartham Kent on all Census returns apart from the 1901. In 1891 I locate him in Chorlton, Manchester living with his 1st Wife Emily Manuell c1869 (nee ford) b Canterbury Kent. I can not locate her in any earlier census returns - They married In Canterbury Kent in 1886.

Marriage ref:

Name: Arthur Manuell/Emily Ford
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1886
    Registration district: Canterbury
    Inferred County: Kent
    Volume Number: 2a
    Page Number: 965

They have a son Bertie Cecil Manuell born 1887 in Fulham, in 1891 he is in Kent with grandparents Jesse and Mary Manuell.

Here are Arthur and Emily on 1891 census return:

Name: Arthur Manuell (mis transcribed Mannell)
    Relation: Boarder
    Where born: Chartham, Kent, England
    Civil parish: Chorlton on Medlock
    Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
    Town: Manchester
    County/Island: Lancashire
    Street Address: 12 Derby street, Chorlton on Medlock.
    Registration district: Chorlton
    Sub-registration district: Chorlton upon Medlock
    ED, institution, or vessel: 49a
    Piece: 3188
    Folio: 109
    Page Number: 66
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Mary Hazelton Head, Widow.
    Emily Mannell, married. Boarder, Born Canterbury Kent. (no age stated on Image)
    Arthur Mannell Boarder, Born Chartham, Kent. Occupation: Car driver/Groom. (no age stated on Image)

I then find a marriage ref for a Arthur Manuell/Amy Garnett in 1891 Chorlton and decided to order it out of curiosity. The marriage turned out to be for my Arthur Manuell, which surprised me as only a few months earlier he was with Emily Manuell on 1891 census as above.
    Address at time of marriage is 5 Lancaster street Manchester, Hulme area. Arthur states he is a 'bachelor', occupation plumber, name of his father, Jesse Manuell a keeper. Amy states she is a spinster, father William Garnett (deceased) a shoe maker.

Marriage ref for Arthur Manuell and Amy Garnett:

Name: Arthur Manuell/Amy Garnett.
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1891
    Registration district: Chorlton
    Inferred County: Lancashire
    Volume Number: 8c
    Page Number: 10&f5=8c">1065
    Date of marriage 26/12/1891

I then find a birth ref for a Jessie Manuell 1892, Salford, so I ordered the cert. - Jessie Manuell born on 26th June 1892 at 2 High Holborn Terrace Salford. Father stated as Arthur Manuell a plumber, mother, Amy Manuell. Address for mother stated as 2 High Holborn Terrace Salford. Amy Manuell was informant.

Then, I find a death cert for Jessie Manuell 1893, Salford so I ordered that one too - Jessie Manuell died on 10th September 1893 she was 14 month old. Death cert states her father to be Arthur Manuell a plumber. Amy Manuell her mother was present at the death she was also informant. Address of where Jessie died is stated as 38 Saint Simon Street, Salford, this address is also stated as mother Amy Manuell's address too.

I can not locate either Arthur Manuell, Emily Manuell or Amy Manuell in 1901 census, however I know Emily did not die between 1891- Jan 1911 as I have her death cert - She died March 8th 1911 aged 42yrs, Arthur Manuell a master shoe maker was informant and states he is the widower of Emily Manuell, Address 3 Hale Lane Failsworth. I can not find a death ref for an Amy Manuell from 1892 onwards? However I believe I may have located her but as an Amy Glover in Salford, I need to get a marriage cert to confirm if it's her or not? Ive no idea if her marriage to Arthur Manuell was null & voided or whether there was a divorce, that's another web to untangle in the future I guess lol

I locate Bertie Manuell c1887, Arthur and Emily's son in 1901 as a visitor in Hammersmith, London so I know their not with him. (mis transcribed Manwell)

Approx 3 months after Emily's death Arthur Manuell marries again LOL - he marries Susannah Stephenson c1873 b Lincolnshire (my G, Grand mother) on 23/06/1911 at register office, Prestwich, Manchester, by certificate.
    Arthur states his father is Jesse Manuell a Steward Estate (deceased) he states his own occupation as master shoe maker, he also states he is a widower. Address given - 3 Hale lane Failsworth Manchester.

Here he is in 1911:

Name: Arthur Manuell
    Age in 1911: 41
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
    Relation to Head: Head
    Birth Place: Maidstone, Kent, England
    Civil parish: Failsworth
    Street Address: 3 Hale Lane Failsworth
    Marital Status: Widowed
    Registration district: Prestwich
    Registration District Number: 467
    Sub-registration district: Failsworth
    ED, institution, or vessel: 06
    Piece: 24238
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Arthur Manuell 41
    George Percy Robinson 39
    Arthur states his birth place as Maidstone Kent.
    Arthur states he has 1 child born alive, 1 still living and children who have died 0 (the child he states is living is presumably Bertie Cecil Manuell born 1883 to his first wife Emily Ford) - However he was also father to a girl named Jessie Manuell 1892-1893 born to his second wife Amy Garnett?

Bertie cecil Manuell is also living at 16 Hale Lane Failsworth, Manchester by 1911, he is with his wife Lucy Manuell nee Perkins and 2 children, so it looks like they all came from Kent and finally settled in Manchester.

Any help/ideas very welcome.

Tracy...
    Last edited by Lady Liberty; 26-02-12, 02:03. Reason: added more info

Well he was a bit of a rogue! Do you have access to the 19th Century newspaper records - it seems that in 1894 he was charged with bigamy because he had 3 wives who were all still alive!! I'm just going to read the details
    Jackie

Comment

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news although you'd worked out part of it.

The third marriage was in 1893 in Bolton to Clara Novello Windsor. He got 7 years penal servitude and the judge said it was the worst case of bigamy he had ever tried. That could explain why you can't find him in 1901. The case was tried at Liverpool Assizes
      Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
        Sorry to be the bearer of bad news although you'd worked out part of it.

The third marriage was in 1893 in Bolton to Clara Novello Windsor. He got 7 years penal servitude and the judge said it was the worst case of bigamy he had ever tried. That could explain why you can't find him in 1901. The case was tried at Liverpool Assizes
        Jackie, are you saying my Arthur Manuell also married a Clara Novello Windsor? I had no idea about her at all, I can't believe it lol And he was tried for bigamy? Where do I find the info on line? I've searched for him for years. Apparently he was killed in WW1 in action BUT I can find no trace of his Army records nor a death ref for him. Oh my he certainly was a rogue... Thanks for this, I'm still trying to take it in lol

Comment

I'm afraid so. There are several newspaper reports. Do you have access to the 19th Century British Library newspaper collection through your library ticket? There are a few entries in there but they all say pretty much the same thing. Also I have access to the Manchester Guardian through my Essex library ticket and the article there gives a bit more detail - they're all in March 1894. Let me know if you don't have access to any of them.

I would have thought he was too old for WW1 and I wonder whether that was a cover for him having disappeared again
          Jackie

Comment

Marriages Dec 1893 (>99%)
            Bromiley Margaret Bolton 8c 314
            Greenhalgh Herbert Bolton 8c 314
            Manuell Arthur Bolton 8c 314
            Windsor Clara Novella Bolton 8c 314
            Windsor Clara Novello Bolton 8c 314

It seems he married Clara Windsor just weeks after the death of his daughter Jessie. I will be ordering this cert asap.

Tracy..

Comment

I'm afraid so. There are several newspaper reports. Do you have access to the 19th Century British Library newspaper collection through your library ticket? There are a few entries in there but they all say pretty much the same thing. Also I have access to the Manchester Guardian through my Essex library ticket and the article there gives a bit more detail - they're all in March 1894. Let me know if you don't have access to any of them.

I would have thought he was too old for WW1 and I wonder whether that was a cover for him having disappeared again
              No I don't have access to any of them Jackie.

I have a photo of him in uniform, the uniform suggest he's a staff Sargent. But it's funny because I've said a few times I think he may have borrowed the uniform lol - unless it's not him of course? My granddad (Arthur's son from errrm think it's the 4 marriage lol) c1912 never knew his father as like I say earlier, he apparently died In war. And yes I bet he did disappear after his youngest son was born in 1914 - I Located Susanna's (4th wife) grave in Leeds thinking may be he was buried in same grave as her but he wasn't there. He prob in some register office getting married again ha ha
              Last edited by Lady Liberty; 26-02-12, 01:36. Reason: added more info

Comment

OK if you want to PM me your email address I'll send a couple of articles over.

I've also just found the Windsor marriage on Lancs OPC. He said he was a bachelor and this time his father as Jesse - a steward

Jackie

Comment

OK if you want to PM me your email address I'll send a couple of articles over.

I've also just found the Windsor marriage on Lancs OPC. He said he was a bachelor and this time his father as Jesse - a steward

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Bolton-le-...1893-1902.html

Thank you Jackie, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this, it's been years of frustration believe me. And regarding the Steward - he states "Steward estate" on the marriage to Susannah but says he's a widower... I'll pm you my email addy, Jackie...

Comment

I've got a feeling this is him in 1901 although place of birth is wrong. I can't make out his occupation. He states he is married though LOL - I can't find a match on earlier census returns. Prestwich is the district where he is living in 1911 and where he marries his 4th wife Susanna Stephenson - What do others think?

Name: Arthur Mannell (image could read Manuell)
                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
                    Relation: Prisoner
                    Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England
                    Civil parish: North Manchester
                    Ecclesiastical parish: St Albans
                    Registration district: Prestwich
                    Sub-registration district: Cheetham
                    ED, institution, or vessel: His Majestys Prison

Household schedule number: 1
                    Piece: 3771
                    Folio: 103
                    Page Number: 30

Comment

Had a look at that 1901 and I'm not sure - the occupation is commercial traveller and whilst that would have been a good cover for his antics I don't think he ever called himself that did he? Also I think the name would not have been wrongly written in a prison and it does look very much like Mannell to me.

It might be worth seeing if you can find this man before 1901.
                      Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 26-02-12, 07:33.

Comment

Jackie you are amazing I remember what you found for me , you are lucky LL wish he were mine ,all adds colour to the tree doesn't it?;)

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          Had a look at that 1901 and I'm not sure - the occupation is commercial traveller and whilst that would have been a good cover for his antics I don't think he ever called himself that did he? Also I think the name would not have been wrongly written in a prison and it does look very much like Mannell to me.

It might be worth seeing if you can find this man before 1901.
                          Margaret
                          Hiya Margaret, Yes, I know what you mean about the occupation, it doesn't quite fit does it as he is pretty consistent on certs etc. Regarding his surname In 2 of the news paper articles that Jackie emailed me, his surname is stated as 'mannell' so I guess it can happen. I have had a quick look for this chap on earlier census but haven't found him, will have a good search later.

Tracy..

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Jackie you are amazing I remember what you found for me , you are lucky LL wish he were mine ,all adds colour to the tree doesn't it?;)
                            I know Val, It was a shock when I discovered he'd committed bigamy once but to do it 3 times in such a short time and pretty much local to where he lived with his lawful wife too. One of the articles states how he had 'forged' a letter to convince wife to be number 3 that he was a single man. The letter had apparently come from Canterbury registrars/church where he lawfully married his first wife Emily, he had put in the word 'not' on the letter which I assume was before the words 'married' - A very fruitful part of my tree he's turned out to be, the little rogue lol

Tracy.

Comment

Oh my, I just found this, surely not?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
                              Marriages Dec 1900
                              Bailey Mary Ellen Barton I. 8c 954
                              Green Betsy Barton I. 8c 954
                              MANUELL Arthur Barton I. 8c 954
                              Shield Thomas Barton I 8c 954
                              Last edited by Lady Liberty; 26-02-12, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Liberty View Post
                                Oh my, I just found this, surely not?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
                                Marriages Dec 1900
                                Bailey Mary Ellen Barton I. 8c 954
                                Green Betsy Barton I. 8c 954
                                MANUELL Arthur Barton I. 8c 954
                                Shield Thomas Barton I 8c 954
                                I'm afraid so! Lancs OPC has the marriage and I'm pretty certain its him

1st Dec 1900 at St Andrews, Eccles. He is described as a 31 year old bachelor, traveller married Mary Ellen Bailey. His father was Jesse Manuell, steward. It looks as though he didn't learn from his spell in prison and got married again almost as soon as he came out.

It also makes me wonder whether that is him in prison in 1901 because of the occupation. Perhaps he got found out again
                                Jackie

Comment

I reckon that is him in prison would bet on it

Comment

I'm afraid so! Lancs OPC has the marriage and I'm pretty certain its him

1st Dec 1900 at St Andrews, Eccles. He is described as a 31 year old bachelor, traveller married Mary Ellen Bailey. His father was Jesse Manuell, steward. It looks as though he didn't learn from his spell in prison and got married again almost as soon as he came out.

It also makes me wonder whether that is him in prison in 1901 because of the occupation. Perhaps he got found out again
                                    Good grief, serial bigamist isn't the word

I've just been trawling ancestry looking for a likely candidate for the Arthur In Prison on earlier census but nothing jumps out other than my Arthur. I'm thinking even more that the Arthur in prison is him, and I'm even more convinced with the marriage detail of 'traveller' for the 1900 marriage- mmm the only place he seems to travel to is the register office or prison LOL

Jackie, what is Lancs OPC? those details you give, I'd say It's him. Looks like I'm going to be spending a bit of money on certs aren't I lol...

Thank you Jackie.
                                    Last edited by Lady Liberty; 26-02-12, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      I reckon that is him in prison would bet on it
                                      Yes Val, I'm thinking same too.

Comment

I've been following this thread ever since I read the word bigamist...

My bigamist (b.1858) married in 1878 (had 4 children), 1885 (had 4 children) was living with 3rd 'wife' by 1894 when he was found guilty of bigamy. Had 12 children with said 3rd wife and married her in 1934. His first wife died in 1947...

What a character your man must have been.... a charmer perhaps!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X