George Henry HAZELL - b1875 - Wivenhoe, Essex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Henry HAZELL - b1875 - Wivenhoe, Essex

Just a quick question at the moment as I'm not sure I'm going to go too deep into this line at the moment.

In 1911, Caroline Alma May HAZELL was a 7 year old scholar living in Blewitt Street, Newport.

RG number:
    RG14
    Piece:
    Reference:
    RG14PN31968 RG78PN1840 RD587 SD2 ED9 SN458
    Elizabeth Ann HAZELL, wife, married 8 years, 29, Newport (Mon)
    Caroline Alma May, dau, 7, Newport (Mon)
    Alice Mary, dau, 4, Newport (Mon)
    Herman Lewis, son, 2, Newport (Mon)
    Looking at marriage indexes Elizabeth Ann COMLEY married George Henry HAZELL. Their marriage was registered in the 4th q. of 1903 in Newport (Mon).

Elizabeth's death was registered in Newport in the 1st q. of 1953 in Newport. There is one George H HAZELL registered in Newport with a birth year within 10 years of Elizabeth's in 3rd q. of 1939. This gives a birth year of 1875.

I've always assumed that George may have been a Seaman due to the fact that I can't find him anywhere in 1911 and Newport at the time would have been a popular place for seamen to settle.

Looking for George H HAZELL's registered around 1875 brings up just 1 in 1st q of 1875 in Lexden, Essex.

1881 Census - Mill Road, Wivenhoe

Alma Eliza HAZELL, wife of head, mar, 26, Wivenhoe
    George Henry, son, 6, Scholar, Wivenhoe
    Mary Elizabeth, dau, 3, Scholar, Wivenhoe
    Alma Eliza, dau, 3m, Wivenhoe
    Going back to 1873, Alma Elizabeth STAPLETON married George HAZELL in Wandsworth, London.
    I followed Alma Eliza to 1911 and George is finally with her in 1911 and is a sea man.

In 1891, the 16 year old George Henry is nowhere to be found.. so I'm assuming he's already aboard a ship somewhere.

I would assume that I'm on the right lines with the family... Would you all agree? I'm looking at ordering the certificate over the next few weeks but finances are just not allowing it yet. :(
    Last edited by FamilyHistoryStories; 25-02-12, 19:15.

Looks like 3 more children to this couple

Ruby I L Hazell Jan-Feb-Mar 1914 Newport Glamorgan, Gwent, Monmouthshire
    Doris I Hazell Oct-Nov-Dec 1915 Newport Monmouthshire
    George A Hazell Apr-May-Jun 1915 Newport Glamorgan, Gwent, Monmouthshire

Comment

Oooh, rats... I didn't know this had posted... Half of it has vanished.

When I pressed the post button I was directed to some random "error" page that I've never had on here before... I assumed because of that it hadn't posted... Sorry.

I'm going to go and finish the post now.....

Comment

Going back to 1873, Alma Elizabeth STAPLETON married George HAZELL in Wandsworth, London.
        I followed Alma Eliza to 1911 and George is finally with her in 1911 and is a sea man.

Hi Beth
        This couple had another son named George in 1893. Very strange, however I tried to find him in 1911 but drew a blank BUT I found him in WW1 pension records.
        Next of kin his mother Alma, father George in Wivenhoe & brother Harry 13 Blewitt St Newport, Mon. Link here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...=George+Hazell

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post

Hi Beth
          This couple had another son named George in 1893. Very strange, however I tried to find him in 1911 but drew a blank BUT I found him in WW1 pension records.
          Next of kin his mother Alma, father George in Wivenhoe & brother Harry 13 Blewitt St Newport, Mon. Link here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...=George+Hazell

Moggie
          Blewitt Street is where George Henry's children were living in 1911.... I don't have access to ancestry unfortunately. But Harry was a common nickname for Henry.. so perhaps that is how George Henry was known.

Comment

There are only 4 pages in the pension records. Personal details etc. It looks like he was only in the army for 22 days.Discharged, not likely to become an efficient soldier.
            have you tried looking for your George in 1911 under the name of Harry or Henry?
            Moggie

Comment

Unfortunately, yes... And I can't seem to locate him... Nothing of any significance in the Merchant Navy Records on FMP either

Comment

He was a seaman when he joined up & there is a note on one page "Warspite" sailing ship.
                Three generations of my family lived at Wivenhoe up to about 1850 & it was essentially a fishing village. It is also well known for smuggling.
                Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                  He was a seaman when he joined up & there is a note on one page "Warspite" sailing ship.
                  Three generations of my family lived at Wivenhoe up to about 1850 & it was essentially a fishing village. It is also well known for smuggling.
                  Moggie
                  Oooh that's interesting... HMS Warspite was a battleship commissioned before WW1, I think. I recognise the name.. :S

Could I be really cheeky and ask if you could possibly download the images? Is that even possible with ancestry? Sorry if it's too cheeky.

Wivenhoe and smugglers.... hmmm... wonder if the Hazell's were involved... OH's family have been interesting so far, it would be a shame for this line to disappoint.
                  Last edited by FamilyHistoryStories; 25-02-12, 22:46.

Comment

I've downloaded the images. Can you PM me your email address?
                    Moggie

Comment

Quite a good early coverage for Wivenhoe on SEAX. They do charge now unfortunately. Cheapest is £5 for 24 hours.
                      Moggie

Comment

Just messages you.

I will have a go t that site over the coming weeks. I think you have proved the connection of George Henry to the Wivenhoe Hazell's.

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X