Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Bate b1855 Tipton

Can anyone help, please?
    I'm looking for the parents of Joseph Bate, born c.1855 in Tipton.
    He married Sarah Jane Evans at St John The Evangelist, Kates Hill, Dudley, 1874.
    I have 1881 Census details with them living at the address: 1, Court 5, Tipton and describing him as an iron worker, with a list of their children ( it seems one is living with Sarah’s folks at 10, Sedgley Rd East, Tipton). DoB is stated as 1855 Tipton but a search reveals only a Rowley Regis birth. Could he be this one?
    I've seen them also on Black Country Connections, but with no ancestors.
    Working backwards Bate/Evans are the right people, but I haven't found a single direct ancestor for him anywhere. I can't go any further back until this solid brick wall is demolished.

I’d really appreciate it if someone could track down the details of Joseph’s parents.
    Many, many thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 24-02-12, 17:46.

according to trees on A*****y his father was Joseph.

Comment

Thanks for that. Does it give other rellies?

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
      according to trees on A*****y his father was Joseph.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check them out. Watery Lane featured in my earlier 'searches' but I was unable to tie in details.
        The names Joseph and Abraham seem to pop up regularly, particularly a Joseph with Elizabeth Mills m.1812.

Comment

Just a general bit of info - many of the Staffordshire ironworkers went up to Scotland in the 1850's to help with the booming iron industry.
          I have relatives (direct line) who did this and many folk on the censuses in Lanarkshire were from that area.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

you've got the marriage date, no cert? the cert should have his father's name on it.

Comment

I now have confirmation of Joseph's father's name; surprisingly it's Joseph. He, however, was dead at the time of Joseph's wedding to Sarah. Sadly, no mention is made of his mother's name but it gives Sarah's parents which I already know. I must assume Joseph's mother was dead also, otherwise I feel she would have witnessed the ceremony as family head. Joseph senior was a Puddler at the local Ironworks in Tipton. There is only one death to that name between Joe jr's birth and marriage: 1864 Tipton.
              All I need now is Joseph senior's wife's name.
              Can anyone help?

Comment

Caraid,

as you have confirmation of Josephs father, your next step will be to locate him on the census in the correct area with a father called Joseph.

do you have his marriage certificate at all? if so, were the witness' family members??

there is an ancestry tree that has Joseph with parents, though it doesnt say HOW they arrived at this set of parents, they must know something as Joseph and father Joseph there are quite a few on the census..

Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Darksecretz,
                  Thanks for the message.

I haven't seen the marriage certificate, but someone else who's researching a slightly different line has. The witnesses were his wife's parents, Joseph and Eliza Evans.
                  Joseph and Sarah Jane had four childen; Josiah Darby Bate (1875), John Thomas Darby Bate (1876), Sarah Ann (1878), Mary Jane (1880). John had a son, also named John Thomas Darby Bate 1896-1917, who died in service with the Royal Flying Corp.

I do not have a subscription to Ancestry; that kind of money is difficult for me to justify.

Comment

ahh if you goto mundia and register there, you can search it and initiate contact with the owners.. (this site is a sister site to Ancestry) and it shows public ancestry trees.
                    Julie

Comment

Thanks for the pointer, Darksecretz.
                      I've found quite a few of my ancestors, which is great. Sadly, some of the info for my immediate family is askew. The person given as my mother, for example: right name, right year of death, but wrong birth year by four years. Listed, my paternal grandfather died in the right year but married someone completely different (although her first name is the same, but no middle name), and even his dob is eight years out.
                      It's a great site for ideas and pointers, but based on knowledge I know (certificates sighted) is 100% accurate, I step with caution. I do like the immediacy of connectedness, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Caraid View Post
                        Thanks for the pointer, Darksecretz.
                        I've found quite a few of my ancestors, which is great. Sadly, some of the info for my immediate family is askew. The person given as my mother, for example: right name, right year of death, but wrong birth year by four years. Listed, my paternal grandfather died in the right year but married someone completely different (although her first name is the same, but no middle name), and even his dob is eight years out.
                        It's a great site for ideas and pointers, but based on knowledge I know (certificates sighted) is 100% accurate, I step with caution. I do like the immediacy of connectedness, though.
                        well in times when funds are short it does pay to explore all available avenues that are free.. I do use quite a few free sites and find that cross ref'ing is a good practice to get into.

have you looked at Tribal pages at all? that is a free site and can also be used as a good finding aid.
                        Julie

Comment

Yes, been there. Very helpful it has been, too.
                          I agree. Cross-referencing many sites has assisted me also, but some brick walls have been solid. If it wasn't for some very friendly and helpful people, I would be still facing the bricks.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-03-12, 01:37.

Comment

Working...
                          X