Missing Laceys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Laceys

Harriett Leach b 1828 in Southampton married James Lacey b, 1812 in Brockhurst in Alverstoke Dec q 1849. In 1851 they are living in Brockhurst with daughter Harriett, aged 9 months (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5815228). In 1861 Harriett is with her 5 children, James, a seaman is presumably at sea. (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7891419).

After this I draw a blank and cannot find any of them again. There is another family of Lacys in Alverstoke with similar names, but that Harriet was born in Harrow.

Can anyone find any trace of them please?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Linda, I couldn't find them in 1871, poss mis transcribed? The family with similar names are deffo not them as the same family are on 1861 census..

This looks like James Lacey c1812 in 1881, he's living in correct area but place of birth is given as Rowner Hampshire. He's a widowed, Naval Pensioner.

Name: James Lacey
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1812
    Relation: Head
    Where born: Rowner, Hampshire, England
    Civil parish: Alverstoke
    County/Island: Hampshire
    Street Address:35 Chapel Street
    Condition as to marriage: Widow
    Registration district: Alverstoke
    Sub-registration district: Alverstoke

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1165; Folio: 25; Page: 15; GSU roll: 1341285.

ADDED:

This looks like daughter, Harriet in 1871:

Name: Harriet Lacy
    Estimated Birth Year: c1851
    Relation: Boarder
    Where born: Southampton, Hampshire, England
    Civil parish: Portsea
    Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
    Registration district: Portsea Island
    Sub-registration district: Landport
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Frances Barnes 59
    Henry Barnes 19
    Amelia Ellis 16
    Harriet Lacy 20 - single. Occupation: Dressmaker.

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1141; Folio: 24; Page: 42; GSU roll: 827785.
    Last edited by Lady Liberty; 24-02-12, 02:52.

Comment

could this be Harriet's death in 1887

Harriet Lacey JFM Qtr. Fareham, Hampshire Vol 2b Pg 381

this might be a longshot... but I'll post it anyway... there is a Harriet H L as a patient in the District Lunatic Asylum I was wondering if that was her...

this is from the 1871 Census
      Name: Harriet H L
      Est Birth Year: abt 1827
      Relation: Patient
      Where born: South Stoneham, Hampshire, England
      Civil parish: Fareham
      Registration district: Fareham

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1156; Folio: 45; Page: 10; GSU roll: 827793.

her marital status is married..
      Last edited by Raven; 24-02-12, 09:02.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Thanks Lady L and Raven, those all look very interesting. The one in the Asylum could be her as her parents married in South Stoneham and lived there for a time. Maybe that's why James called himself a widower in 1881, if she was in there. Unfortunately there is no trace of her or most of her siblings on the Hampshire Baptisms. I think the family could be Methodist, as one of their daughters was married in the Wesleyan chapel in 1860.

I think I've seen a Harriet Lacy dressmaker on other censuses, but the age was out, will have another look today.
        Linda

Comment

Okay so it looks as though James died in 1898 in Portsea, Jun quarter, and Harriet possibly in 1887.

Of the 5 children

Harriet b. 1851 is likely to be the one found by Lady Liberty above - she might have married a Mark Oakshott in Dec q 1872 but vanishes again!
          James b. 1854 I think d. 1861 in Droxford
          Eliza b. 1857 ?
          Ann b. 1858 ?
          Charlotte Amelia b. 1860 d 1861 in Alverstoke.

Anyone up for a hunt!
          Linda

Comment

there is a tree with Harriett b. 1851 Linda.. married to Mark.. is this where you got that info from?

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is another marriage of a Harriett Oakshott in 1877 portsea island, hants, to either Frank Gale or James Penny.. BUT I still can't find either name in the census..
              Julie

Comment

I can't see anything that looks likely Linda..
                Julie

Comment

I hadn't seen that tree Julie, I found the marriage in BMD's. However those aren't the parents I'd hoped for, for Harriet. I think Harriett Oakshott married James Penny. I'll have a rootle under those names, thanks.
                  Linda

Comment

Ooh I've found a death for Harriet Lacey in Portsea in 1855. I think that tree may not be fully researched. The death they assign to Harriett is for another person in London married to a different Oakshott. So that still might be mine who married Mr Oakshott. I see he died in 1874 (listed under Oakshot) so Harriet could well have remarried.
                    Linda

Comment

This could be them in 1881 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6993282, her age is a bit out, but she is a dressmaker - but where did those children come from? On previous censuses he is a bachelor.

I'm getting more and more confused
                      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        This could be them in 1881 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6993282, her age is a bit out, but she is a dressmaker - but where did those children come from? On previous censuses he is a bachelor.

I'm getting more and more confused
                        sorry Linda I have only just remembered this I think that looks very promising, and as the eldest child is 10 then it couldve been born just after the last census which would mean then that the child would be 10 as age of last birthday.. if you see what I mean..
                        Julie

Comment

though a b/cert of one of the children would confirm mmn.. or maybe a bapt ?
                          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, thanks for having a look - unfortunately, I have now discovered that there were 4 Harriet Laceys born in Droxford, 3 in 1843 and 1 in 1851 which doesn't help matters at all. I think I will make a note of all this and check it out next time I go down to Hampshire Record Office - as they are only a side line it will save me buying a lot of certs!
                            Linda

Comment

I know what you mean, when I was looking I was quite surprised to see just how common the name is.. maddening isnt it?
                              Julie

Comment

this is harriet in 1891: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1

she is also on the 1901 and constantly gives her YOB as 1843/1844
                                Julie

Comment

Yes, I've a feeling that it is not mine, but probably linked to the same family as they were all in a reasonably small area. Will check it out when I can, but then my problem again is what happened to Harriett Lacey b. 1851. Sometimes makes you want to pull your hair out don't it :D :D

I also am planning sometime in summer to go on prowl through all the little villages and go grave-hunting. You never know what I'll find!
                                  Linda

Comment

oooh well I do hope that you do track her down.. it'll bug me otherwise!!..lol
                                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                                    X