Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intriguing Baptism Record

This Baptism intrigued me

Charles Smith abt 20 years of age a young man of colour born on Congo River on the coast of Africa ?

Why would he be being baptised so late?
    Last edited by Guest; 23-02-12, 21:32.

could be he converted to Christianity and was baptised when he came or was brought to this country....only a thought

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Brought back to England by a sea-captain or missionary perhaps? That's 1816, so you'd need to go sleuthing for him in the deaths and census to see if he stayed or died in the UK.

Perhaps someone with time on their hands will pick up on this one!
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanks both , what would you put in the search box for where born though ? I tried the 1841 census and put Africa ?

Comment

I've seen a few like that in my searches for my one name study. The name is a "locational" one so tended to be a suitable English name for someone from abroad. Maybe he was a servant (hopefully not a slave) and his master insisted on him being baptised. Or maybe he went to religious revival meetings and was converted.

Anne

Comment

Perhaps he was a freed slave? Slavery had only just been abolished (well, 10 years before).

OC

Comment

thats what I was thinking ?? maybe a slave poor man, love to know what hapened to him.

Comment

i forget the english had slaves in england. i don't think it is mentioned like the american's. i guess england is more ashamed of it than america?

Comment

Kyle

They were used in a different way in the UK, in ones and twos, and generally acted as servants, so we weren't seen as a slave owning nation. But of course the UK was a major trading place for slaves and wealthy white women sometimes bought a small black boy to act as their personal servant and trot around after them - much as some women today have silly dogs. These boys would often be abandoned once they grew out of their cuteness but of course some would be genuinely loved and treated well (for a slave).

OC

Comment

Pairs of adult male Africans (of matching height and build) were popular as doormen at the homes of the very rich - they literally stood one at each side of the door, and their purpose was ornamental as well as functional.
                    Some wealthy ladies also had a matching pair of personal retainers/footmen, who accompanied her on foot whilst her carriage journeyed through the city. Again, their purpose was decorative and also acted as a sign of prestige/novelty/oneupmanship.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm somewhere have somebodies will and the slaves were left to their Sons. You cant imagine it nowadays can you ?

Comment

some of my ancestors had slaves, in 18th century sumatra. they ended up giving them their freedom in their wills. it was a huge shock learning they had slaves.

Comment

Kylejustin........watch the movie "Amazing Grace" or

They are both very good.

Comment

thank you for that link libby, it is highly interesting. what a life he managed to achieve! i have not seen amazing grace, but it looks very interesting, i'm going to have to see it!!

Comment

I researched a family and one of them who studied with John Wesley went to America and stayed with the indian tribes teaching christianity and performing baptisms no matter what age they were.

Comment

Working...
                              X