Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Moore (helps if you know Nottinghamshire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Moore (helps if you know Nottinghamshire)

Think I'm going (not so) quietly mad. I've got Elizabeth Moore who became the wife of Jacob Asher. According to the census records (for Nottingham) when they were married ,she was born in approx 1833 in Notts. I've lost the note of where she was born which I was just about to type in....it was somewhere near Retford...a village I'd never heard of & now I can't find it on Ancestry etc.

Could someone look with a fresh pair of eyes, please ?

I'm confused Grey! Do you mean the parish registers on Ancestry? They don't appear to cover Nottingham. I looked up the year of marriage and then tried to find them in 1861 to see where it said she was born but I can't find them there either.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

On the 1841 and 1851 census there is an Elizabeth Moore in Tuxford, East Retford District Council area. Could this be the one you are looking for?

Comment

did she snuff it in mapperley madhouse Grey???
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Tuxford is very near to Retford..
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            Tuxford is very near to Retford..
            8 miles or so .... but comes under Newark Registration district I think.
            Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 23-02-12, 21:10.
            Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              did she snuff it in mapperley madhouse Grey???
              I love you, Julie !!! Yes, she did (this is my ggg grandmother you're talking about, woman....think the strain of living with the Ashers caught up with her)

Thanks, everyone....it wasn't Tuxford....I'd heard of Tuxford. Grrr.....wish I could remember where I got it from. Luckily I'm using my dictaphone now. I'm SOOOO tired at the moment I can't focus very well. Did villages around Retford come under Derbyshire then ?

Comment

On the census records it just says she was born in Notts (an uncomfortable position). Can't find an appropriate census record for when she was a child. Her father was either Thomas or John

Comment

Found her on the Mormon site ! 1835 in Ordsall. Thanks a lot

Comment

Just played it back on the dictaphone.....think I'll shoot myself

Comment

Have also discovered why I couldn't find her on the census as a child....she was Elizabeth Susan & is listed as Susanna (they probably called her that to distinguish her from her mother, Elizabeth)

OK.....I'm going NOW !!

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                        I love you, Julie !!! Yes, she did (this is my ggg grandmother you're talking about, woman....think the strain of living with the Ashers caught up with her)

Thanks, everyone....it wasn't Tuxford....I'd heard of Tuxford. Grrr.....wish I could remember where I got it from. Luckily I'm using my dictaphone now. I'm SOOOO tired at the moment I can't focus very well. Did villages around Retford come under Derbyshire then ?
                        lol!! some of the district was IN Derbyshire at one point Grey, then they moved the goalposts, several times..

oooo have a look at this: http://www.ordsallparish.plus.com/Pa...es/history.htm
                        Julie

Comment

Thanks a lot, Julie.....I haven't checked the marriage yet, & I don't know if her mother was from Ordsall, but her father had been born in Chesterfield.

Comment

so you not found her on the census yet?
                            Julie

Comment

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1
                              Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 851; Book: 3; Civil Parish: Ordsall; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 20; Page: 3; Line: 20; GSU roll: 438901.
                              Julie

Comment

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8978
                                Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 565; Page: 38; GSU roll: 87750-87751.
                                Julie

Comment

Thanks....I'd found her on the census records after she was married to Jacob, but couldn't find her on the census records as a child until I'd discovered she'd been living in Ordsall, because I'd been searching for Elizabeth &, as a child, she was listed as Susanna. (No offence to anyone who might live there, but Ordsall strikes me as a horrible name)

Comment

thing that puzzles me is that the 'father' is listed as MUNTON moore, and he dies in 1862.. I can't see anything for him in 1841 yet!
                                    Julie

Comment

Oh, I couldn't find him on the census either (haven't looked for his death yet). Maybe he wasn't living with the family for some reason ? Must admit, I'm glad he was named Munton....might make life a bit easier...there are so many Moores in that area

Comment

This could be Munton in 1851, can't find him in 1841.

MOORE, Munton Head Married M 57 1794 Seedsman Chesterfield Derbyshire
                                        MOORE, Elizabeth Wife Married F 59 1792 Thrumpton P O Nottinghamshire
                                        MOORE, Elizabeth Grand Daughter F 2 1849 Thrumpton P O Nottinghamshire

Piece:2121 Folio:565 Page:38 Registration District: East Retford

Civil Parish: Ordsall Address: Thrumpton, Ordsall
                                        Last edited by Breckland Jane; 24-02-12, 13:30.

Comment

Working...
                                        X