Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I`m still looking for a marriage,can anyone help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I`m still looking for a marriage,can anyone help ?

I have been looking for ages for a husband for my husbands aunt.She was Ethel Mary Stevens,born about 1899 in Marylebone and is on the 1901 and 1911 census`s.There are so many marriages that could be hers but how do I tell which one to get the certificate ?
    Unfortunately my husband doesn`t remember anything about her but I have ordered her sisters cert just in case she is a witness on there.
    Thanks

If you order them all and give her father's details and provided only one has that name on the record then GRO will only issue that certificate and refund the money for the others.

The risk with that is someone else has the same father's name and you get more than one certificate!

Pick the most likely ones in terms of location first and do it in stages would be my approach.

Margaret

Comment

where is she in 1911 ?

Comment

If you do find one that is pre WW1 check to see whether the potential husband served in WW1 - pension and service records on Ancestry very often give marriage details and there may be piece of info which will tie it together.
        Elaine

Comment

She is in Marylebone with her father Arthur William,mother Caroline and brothers and sister in Quebec mews.
          They moved to Croydon sometime after that and that was where her sister was married.

Comment

Thanks Elaine,yes,I didn`t think of that.Bearing in mind that she would have been probably too young then.I have a family photo of her on it but with no spouse but I guess that doesn`t mean a lot.It is all I have.
            Last edited by LynSpain; 23-02-12, 12:22.

Comment

Thanks Margaret,I didn`t know you could still do that on GRO or that you got a full refund.

Comment

I have just found an Ethel M Stevens in the marriage index in 1931 Croydon to a Brown and I double checked when the family moved there.It was between 1911 and 1916 which was the address given when her brother was killed in action so it could be it.She would have been about 32.

Comment

Originally posted by LynSpain View Post
                  Thanks Margaret,I didn`t know you could still do that on GRO or that you got a full refund.
                  It's not quite the same as asking for a reference check like we did before - it's just that if you order any cert they only issue it if all the details agree. You can't put a whole series of index details like before - you just have to order each one separately.

So in this case the father's name is the only extra bit of information you could put that would distinguish your person from anyone else with the same name and effectively stop them issuing the cert if the one you ordered was not for your Ethel.

It was found they had no statutory authority to do the reference checking and taking part of the money.

Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 23-02-12, 12:42.

Comment

Her baptism is on Ancestry which gives her date of birth as 3rd July 1899.
                    This might be useful if she lived long enough to have her DOB on her death certificate.
                    The spouse for the 1931 marriage was a Hubert S S Brown. He's been wrongly matched up with a Stevenson.
                    Moggie

Comment

I have her birth date as 3rd Jan 1899 and her baptism as 19th Feb.I have already checked deaths from that and can`t find any that match.Yes,I saw Hubert Brown was wrongly matched.I think I will await her sister`s marriage cert first to see if I get any clues from that !

Comment

Ok,thanks for that Margaret.

Comment

The most likely death for Hubert Sidney S Brown (born 29th July 1903) is in Nov 1986 aged 83 in Stevenage Hertfordshire. Unfortunately I can't find a likely matching death for Ethel. Of course, he could have moved to Stevenage safter she died, so her death could be anywhere.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes,I thought the same thing Chrissie !

Comment

Hi Lyn
                              Sorry I got the birth date wrong, read Jany to be July. Baptised before she was born!!
                              Any chance the Croydon address you mentioned would show up in the ERs on Ancestry?
                              Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                Hi Lyn
                                Sorry I got the birth date wrong, read Jany to be July. Baptised before she was born!!
                                Any chance the Croydon address you mentioned would show up in the ERs on Ancestry?
                                Moggie
                                I have looked Moggie.Can`t find anything obvious,maybe I will phone Croydon records and ask them to look in their books.Don`t know how helpful they will be,it sometimes works !

Comment

Working...
                                X