William Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Miller

I am trying to work out the birth place of William Ernest Miller born 20th June 1920 and wondered if someone can help me out please, as I am struggling this morning..

I have looked at the ones born in York, Sunderland and Bridgewater and can find their deaths, so it rules them out on the D.O.B. and there is one born Tynemouth that might be him but I just don't know in honesty.

Thanks a Lot..

If he was born 20th June, then his birth would likely have been registered in the 3rd quarter (Jul/Aug/Sep) - which would suggest that the Tynemouth one could be it (since you've ruled out the other William E Miller registered in this quarter - the one born in Bridgwater). The Tynemouth one was registered with mother's maiden name = Miller so was probably an illegitimate birth. The additional reference indicates that his birth was re-registered in Q2, 1922, with the surname of Sampson:

Births Jun 1922
    Miller William E Miller Tynemouth 10b 500
    Sampson William E Miller Tynemouth 10b 500

This late registration often occurs if the parents wed after the birth was first registered. In this case, this looks like the marriage in question:

Marriages Mar 1922
    MILLER Ann W Sampson Tynemouth 10b 322
    SAMPSON Ernest Miller Tynemouth 10b 322

Father's name is Ernest!! Co-incidence?

On the other hand, if this particular William was re-registered with the surname Sampson at the age of 2, why would he revert to using his mother's maiden surname? (I assume you have his d.o.b. from the death registration).
    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 23-02-12, 04:02.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful reply Richard..

I guess now if I can find the baptism record for William Ernest Sampson that will tell be his D.O.B.

I don't know why.. but I don't get a good feeling about it being the Tynemouth one, as silly as that sounds although it kind of points in that direction at this point.

Thanks again.

Comment

do you have the birth date from a death record? if so, what place did it give for his birth?

Comment

It could be one of the many birth registrations for William Miller in 1920, 2nd and 3rd quarters - maybe the middle name of Ernest wasn't included on the original regitration!
          Elaine

Comment

I knew his place of death and the date of death and got his birth date from that..

You have a point Elaine..but I am feeling lucky today..
            Last edited by Guest; 23-02-12, 09:31.

Comment

are we to assume you have his death certificate? if not, it would be a good idea to get it, if the date of birth is included, they also asked for place of birth, so the death cert could answer this question for you.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                are we to assume you have his death certificate? if not, it would be a good idea to get it, if the date of birth is included, they also asked for place of birth, so the death cert could answer this question for you.
                England & Wales death certs don't include place of birth, unfortunately! :(
                Elaine

Comment

yes they do! after 1969, when they added date and place of birth, and maiden name. since he has a birth date, he could have got this from a death registration!

Comment

I don't have it but I am waiting for it to arrive.

I just didn't want to do nothing while I was waiting for it to arrive..and often it's easy to suss out the birth record but in this instance it wasn't.

Thanks for you reply.

Comment

Of course, the place of birth given on a death certificate is only accurate if the person registering the death actually knows it.

Comment

that's true, but at least it's a start. it could give an informant that could trace a marriage and then you'd have the father, so you could compare that with any birth cert you end up getting!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          yes they do! after 1969, when they added date and place of birth, and maiden name. since he has a birth date, he could have got this from a death registration!
                          .. not with it this morning!!!!!
                          Elaine

Comment

Births Jun 1922
                            Miller William E Miller Tynemouth 10b 500
                            Sampson William E Miller Tynemouth 10b 500

This late registration often occurs if the parents wed after the birth was first registered. In this case, this looks like the marriage in question:

Marriages Mar 1922
                            MILLER Ann W Sampson Tynemouth 10b 322
                            SAMPSON Ernest Miller Tynemouth 10b 322

Father's name is Ernest!! Co-incidence?

Richard having a wild guess..

If his fathers name was Ernest.. what do you think his mothers fathers name was..??

Last edited by Guest; 23-02-12, 11:58.

Comment

I'm now thinking that the Tynemouth one is unlikely - if his father was Sampson, and he was re-registered as a Sampson in 1922, then why would he have reverted to his mother's maiden name later in life?

Is his death the one in London in 2002? If so, then he is listed as just William Miller (no middle name) - so where did you get the Ernest from? Maybe Ernest was just a nickname, which means he could be one of the many plain "William Millers" registered in 1920, as suggested by Elaine above?

Comment

I am waiting for the cert but I now think the Tynemouth one is most likely and hopefully you were spot on Richard.

I know it was William Ernest for sure..

I know that his dad, if it was the Tynemouth one is Ernest.
                                I know his mums father was William..if it's the Tynemouth one.

If I was nailing my colours.. my bet is on the Tynemouth one.

Comment

What else do you know about William Ernest Miller FMK? Do you know have any idea what are he might have died in, or parents names etc?
                                  I ask because there is a death for instance of a William Ernest Miller in 1988 in Epping Forest and although his year of birth is given as 1919 the date is 20th June. Isn't it possible that he knew his birthday but got mixed up with the year?
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie

I know he died 2002 Tulse Hill which comes under the Lambeth area and his date of death along with his middle name..

I looked into the Epping one and it is deffo not him, although I agree they share the same birth date but different year..

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I'm confused now FMK! The only death I can find that fits that description is just William, no Ernest or E?
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think the death is from the Bonavacantia list where it gives the full name as William Ernest Miller.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X