Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address search on London Electoral Registers

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do an address search on these registers. (Added - I mean on Ancestry)
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by herky; 22-02-12, 14:16.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

no you can only go by areas shame really

Comment

Oh, that's a pity, but what I expected really. Worth asking.
      Thanks for helping Val.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        Oh, that's a pity, but what I expected really. Worth asking.
        Thanks for helping Val.
        I think you would have to trawl through the images much like you have to do for such searches on the census.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          I think you would have to trawl through the images much like you have to do for such searches on the census.

Margaret
          Thanks Margaret - I know the street is in Islington, is there an index in the books, or are the streets in alphabetical order?
          I don't know why I am asking this, I can have a look myself but if you know the answer then that would be great.
          Off to have a look
          herky

Comment

Answering my own question here!
            yep - alphabetically but lots of different wards so will have to trawl through each ward - but it is a start.
            herky

Comment

If you have access to the Times or the 19th century British Library newspapers (depending on the date), one strategy I use is to search the street name in the papers, find a person's name in that street, and then search for them in the electoral role. Sometimes (30% of time) it works and I find the street I need.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks for that but I don't have access to that.
                My problem is I have the street name and the person name but the person is living in another person's house and I don't know their name.
                I am trying to establish a date that this family left Ireland for London.
                it isn't anything crucial but I was just interested if it matched up with the start of partition/troubles in Ireland etc. Just me looking into why a family left Ireland but not important.
                Thanks again.
                herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                  Thanks for that but I don't have access to that.
                  My problem is I have the street name and the person name but the person is living in another person's house and I don't know their name.
                  I am trying to establish a date that this family left Ireland for London.
                  it isn't anything crucial but I was just interested if it matched up with the start of partition/troubles in Ireland etc. Just me looking into why a family left Ireland but not important.
                  Thanks again.
                  If the person you are looking for was entitled to vote they would appear in the list as it is not based on households as such just who at that address can vote. I suppose if your person was just visiting they may not have had time or wanted to register to vote.

If your person was listed then their name should come up on a name search.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                  X