Help in ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in ireland

First time on this site so need help and advice. I am trying to locate a brother of my grandad's, Matthew Norris, who after the death of his wife and children moved to Ireland, Mullingar has been mentioned. Possibly remarried to a lady called Pat and had a son Ken/Kenneth. Pat was believed to have been connected to a well know photo film family. Any help or advice how to follow this up would be appreciated. Thank you. Pat

Hi Tricia,
    Do you have any dates for Matthew? Where did he originate from before moving to Ireland etc.?
    Last edited by herky; 21-02-12, 13:54.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi Tricia, Welcome to FTF and if you can give us some more details as suggested by Herky we can help advice where to look. Fore example there are the only 2 censuses for Ireland here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ and for Civil Reg of BMDs check ancestry here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...F0003A49-int=1

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 21-02-12, 18:44.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        Hi Tricia,
        Do you have any dates for Matthew? Where did he originate from before moving to Ireland etc.?
        His full name was Matthew Edward Victor Norris born 1901, Liverpool. From what I have been able to find he was in the Hotel business, working as a waiter at one state, I have been led to believe, actually owning/running his own hotel. It is also believed he went to Scotland after the death of his first wife with children but came back to Liverpool. Sadly all his four children died and that's where the story becomes puzzling. His first wife's family seem to think he went to Ireland, Mullingar being mentioned, remarried a lady called Pat? and had a son Ken? I know he also worked for the Post Office before he was married the first time. Thanks for the help.

Comment

There is a marriage for a Matthew E V Norris in 1922 to a "Little" in W Derby, Lancashire??
          8b 681

Mabel Little
          Last edited by herky; 22-02-12, 15:07.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There are 3 children, b 1923,1924 and 1929 born in W Derby with father Norris and mother Little.
            I doon't want to mention names in case they are still living.
            herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
              There is a marriage for a Matthew E V Norris in 1922 to a "Little" in W Derby, Lancashire??
              8b 681

Mabel Little
              could this be the first marriage Joyce?
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is a death in Liverpool north in 1941 for a Mabel Norris aged 43...

Name: Mabel Norris
                Birth Date: abt 1898
                Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1941
                Age at Death: 43
                Registration district: Liverpool North
                Inferred County: Lancashire
                Volume: 8b
                Page: 778
                Julie

Comment

am thinking that the child born in 1923 had a middle name the same as his uncle... and there is a death for that name (though they (first names) are transposed).
                  Julie

Comment

I can see a Matthew Norris working on board a ship called 'Vestris' going to and from Liverpool-New York, (in the years 1917-1920) so this would be prior to marriage.
                    Julie

Comment

and I have found a Matthew V E - ooops I mean E V Norris traveling with a Thomas Norris on the Megantic in 1918. Matthew is 17 and Thomas is 18.
                      This is from Ellis Island site.
                      Last edited by herky; 22-02-12, 18:01.
                      herky

Comment

Thanks everyone for their help. The details regarding marriage 1922 and subsequent birth details are Matthew's first marriage and sadly wife and children all died. The record for a Matthew E V Norris on the Megantic is very interesting but don't know who the Thomas could be, certainly not his brother but very possibly a cousin as the name Thomas appears quite a lot within the family.

Comment

Working...
                        X