Walcot Joshua Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walcot Joshua Harvey

My Great Grandfather, Walcot Joshua Harvey was married in 1903 to a Elizabeth Hopkins. My Great Grandmother was Selina Ruth Ann Dodd from St Peter Port in Guernsey. She had been married to Bernard Vincent Alwood in 1905. I would be interested if anyone is also researching these people and has any information on how they met and what happened to their respective spouses.
    Andrew Crawley

I'm not researching these people Canda so can't help re how they met etc but you asked what happened to their spouses. Do you mean their deaths? If so, there is a death of a Bernard Vincent Alwood born 24th June 1886 - died April-June 1974 - aged 88 - Bournemouth, Hampshire, Dorset - ref 23 0349
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi canda99

If you check Walcot Joshua Harvey's military record on ancestry you will see his wife is Elzabeth (image 478846)

Also the benefactor of his will is Elizabeth Harvey widow.

Bob
      http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

Hello Canda,

what sort of information do you already have on Walcot? I have found a death record, and him also on the census with his parents, do you have them at all on the 1911 census?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ooh I say that was abit unexpected.. his occupation is a Railway Detective!!

Julie

Comment

am a little bit confused now... I have Walcot being married to Selina on the 1911 census.. and they have been married 6yrs according to the image. :conf:
            Julie

Comment

oh its ok.. I think I understand now, the other 'spouses' are previous ones?
              Julie

Comment

aha!

Name: Walcot Joshua Harvey
                Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1903
                Registration district: Windsor
                Inferred County: Berkshire
                Volume Number: 2c
                Page Number: 696

Elizabeth Hopkins

I cannot see a 'marriage' for Walcot to Selina, unless they married in Guernsey? which is looking likely as the first son was born there in 1906.
                Julie

Comment

This is image from his war record shows that he is still married to Elizabeth . This confilcts with the 1911 census record.

Comment

Hm, going by that, it looks as if he was running two families at the same time.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Hm, going by that, it looks as if he was running two families at the same time.
                      But just one set of children?

Comment

I'm not sure, but I THINK the service record would only record legitimate children from his marriage, as they are his legal dependents.

I have recently received the service records of someone who was running two families concurrently, but only the legitimate children (from the marriage) are on the record.

EDIT - the youngest child (I haven't checked the others) is registered as a child of the marriage, so he was still, erm, cohabiting with his wife in 1917.

OC
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 21-02-12, 22:09.

Comment

according to his service recs, he was also in the Scots Guards.. prior to enlisting for WWI, has anyone found these?
                          Julie

Comment

Hello
                            I have a marriage certificate for the marriage between Selina Dodd and Bernard Vincent Alwood in Guernsey. A record of the birth of their son, Edward Vincent and the 1911 census showing Selina with Walcot Harvey in Islington. (with Edward Vincent shown as their son)

I have marriage certificate for Walcot Joshua Harvey and Elizabeth Hopkins in 1903.

Interestingly, the mother's maiden name of Walcot's subsequent children is shown as Hopkins. The first world war records show next of kin as Hopkins, and the beneficiary of Walcot's will is Hopkins.

There seems little doubt, though, that the woman who he spent his 'married' life with was Selina Ruth Ann Dodd.
                            She spoke very little English in the beginning and later with a heavy French accent. She was always known as Selina to her children, who were under the impression she was from the Channel Islands.

It seems that Walcot perpetuated the myth to the authorities that he was still married to Elizabeth Hopkins, but to his family he was 'married'
                            to Selina.

I suppose my main interest is to find out what happened to Elizabeth.

Jan100018.jpg
                            Walcot is the gentleman in the bowler and moustache on duty as a Railway Detective.
                            Andrew Crawley

Comment

He served in the Boer War in the Scots Guards and was wounded in the leg.
                              Andrew Crawley

Comment

So let me get my head round this. Walcot and Elizabeth parted and he lived with Selina. Elizabeth had more children by unknown, but Elizabeth and Walcot conspired together to tell the Army authorities that all four children were his.

Or are you saying that Selina registered her chldren using the maiden name of Hopkins?

Actually, the scenario isn't that uncommon, we have had quite a few army personnel pretending that the children of an affair are the legitimate children of a marriage and registering the children in the legal wife's name. He was taking a bit of a chance though, especially with his job!

As to what happened to Elizabeth, well, she's going to be quite difficult to trace with such a common name. It might pay to try to trace Walcot junior forward to see if his descendants know anything.

OC

Comment

what a complicated life to lead... I wonder what lead him to deceive so much?

who were the witness' on Walcots marriage to Elizabeth please, and have you tracked her in the census?
                                  Julie

Comment

oh and her fathers name/occ would be good too.. please
                                    Julie

Comment

Canda

Are the post-it notes on Freebmd yours?

Walcot junior's mother is given as Selina Dodd.

OC

Comment

WJ Harvey marriage cert.jpg
                                        Elizabeth Hopkins father on the marriage cert is shown as Isaac Hopkins (deceased) Using this information I have details of Elizabeth living in Bray, Berkshire, where she was born. This is a small village a short way up the river Thames from Windsor where Walcot Harvey was a sergeant at Victoria Barracks. I can't find a 1891 census for Elizabeth but at 20yrs old she may have been in service or similar.
                                        Andrew Crawley

Comment

Working...
                                        X