No announcement yet.

Following on from my Smith hunt.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following on from my Smith hunt.......

Last weekend I had a very pleasant, but frustrating visit to Whitby looking for Smiths!! Thomas and Mary Smith to be precise. The combination could not be much worse.

Thomas and Mary Smith were living in Sandsend Whitby in 1841 and Thomas is living in Sandsend as a Widow in 1851. This is the parish of Lythe. So, it would seem likely that any burials would be in the church yard. I looked all round the church yard and through their burial file. No sign of Thomas and Mary.

I have the NBI and there are no burials for Whitby for Thomas and Mary for the dates in question. Having gone through the death registrations on Ancestry there are only two that fit(assuming they both died in Whitby)Mary 4th quarter of 1841 and Thomas 3rd quarter of 1860.

Is the burial index compiled from church records/grave stones? If so I am wondering if it is still possible for Thomas and Mary to be buried in Lythe Church but the records are not on the NBI. I realise the only way to establish if I have the correct deaths is to pay for death certificates.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I 'think' that the NBI are transcribed from the parish records.

The NBI does not contain monumental inscription records or death registrations. Burial records are transcribed mainly by family history societies although helpful individuals contribute as well. The sources used are: parish registers, bishop's transcripts, earlier transcripts or printed registers, cemetery and crematorium records in all locations (parishes).
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

do you have the link please Sandra for the census refs..
      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thomas Smith 1851 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2374; Folio: 631; Page: 19; GSU roll: 87660-87662.

Thomas and Mary 1841 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1256; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Lythe; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 2a; Folio: 10; Page: 6; Line: 3; GSU roll: 464233.

Sorry for not replying sooner a pile of ironing was calling me!!

Sandra

Comment

Just been looking at the coverage for Lythe in the NBI & there is a gap between 1837 & 1852 but there is no record of a Thomas Smith in 1860.
          Moggie

Comment

just found this..

Name: Thomas Smith
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1789
            Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1869
            Age at Death: 80
            Registration district: Whitby
            Inferred County: Yorkshire North Riding
            Volume: 9d
            Page: 298

though that would indicate he was on the 1861 cens..
            Julie

Comment

did Elizabeth marry at all Sandra?
              Julie

Comment

Thank you Moggie and Julie for your replys. The gap you found may explain why there is no record for Mary Smith and is quite possible that Thomas moved from Sandsend between 1851 and his death. Julie, I have looked at the 1861 census and I can not find Thomas on the 1861 census. However, it is not the best of names to search!

I am not sure whether Elizabeth married. If she did I have not found her marriage.

Sandra
                Last edited by Sherbertrose; 20-02-12, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  just found this..

Name: Thomas Smith
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1789
                  Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1869
                  Age at Death: 80
                  Registration district: Whitby
                  Inferred County: Yorkshire North Riding
                  Volume: 9d
                  Page: 298

though that would indicate he was on the 1861 cens..
                  That Thomas Smith possibly buried 9th August 1869 age 80 at Egton St Hilda
                  Moggie

Comment

Back to my Smith hunt having had to go out and earn a living yesterday! If any one has any spare time I would appreciate help tracking Thomas and Mary's Children. Be warned despite at least two of their daughters marrying they don't make life easy.

Perhaps I had better state what I know.

Thomas and Mary had 6 known children - three girls and three boys. They were as follows:

Thomas born c1813 Whitby, baptism 31 Jan 1813 Whitby.

Hannah born 29 Dec 1814 Sandsend, baptism 3 Jan 1815 Whitby. Married William Dobson at Pickering 1837. Last found Scarborough living in Oxford Street 1861. She dies between 1861 and 1871. Her Husband William is shown as a Widower in 1871. I can not find a death registration for her unless he date of birth is way out. Hannah is my direct ancestor.

William born 1816 Whitby, baptised 9 Nov 1816

Margaret born 1819, baptised 9 June 1819. Margaret married John Phillips 31 Mar 1842 Lythe (Source igi). She is on the 1851 census living as a servant in Mulgrave Castle. Whitby. I can't find her before or after 1851. Her husband is not with her in 1851.

Elizabeth Smith born 1824, baptised 28 Sep 1824. Living with parents 1841. She presumably married after this but to whom I do not know.

Isaiah born 1827, baptised 14 Nov 1827. Living in Skelton in Cleveland 1841 dies in Liverton 1847, burial 14 July 1847

All help will be very much appreciated

Sandra
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-02-12, 17:56.

Comment

Hannah born 29 Dec 1814 Sandsend, baptism 3 Jan 1815 Whitby. Married William Dobson Pickering 1837. Last found Scarborough living in Oxford Street 1861. She dies between 1861 and 1871. Her Husband William is shown as a Widower in 1871. I can not find a death registration for her unless he date of birth is way out. Hannah is my direct ancestor.
                      do you have hyperlinks to the census refs Sandra please.. am not finding her via searching
                      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

This is the references for Hannah 1861 Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 3616; Folio: 71; Page: 29; GSU roll: 543161.

Margaret Phillips -Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2374; Folio: 655; Page: 25; GSU roll: 87660-87662.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I had to nip out.

Sandra

Comment

no probs though I am having a devil of a time trying to find her... I still can't see her with the refs either!!
                          Julie

Comment

oh I see they used DOBSON.. i was looking under pickering!! duh!!
                            Julie

Comment

is this william in 1881?

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Sorry that was my mistake - lack of punctuation they married in Pickering!!

Sandra

Comment

Hi Julie,

No William was still in Scarborough in 1881.( Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4802; Folio: 98; Page: 39; GSU roll: 1342159.) He was a Shoe maker. I think he died in 1887.

Sandra

Comment

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh lol!! oops.. :emb:

not the easiest to find are they?

I don't think that 81 I have is the right one, as he is a retired auctioneer..
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                      Hi Julie,

No William was still in Scarborough in 1881.( Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4802; Folio: 98; Page: 39; GSU roll: 1342159.) He was a Shoe maker. I think he died in 1887.

Sandra
                                      @ Hunters Balcony? with someone called DAVY?
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X