John Henry Lee, Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Henry Lee, Birmingham

My gg.grandfather JOHN HENRY LEE was baptised in St.Martins Birmingham 1814 s of JAMES & ANN LEE (nee Ballnaves) Ann,s family is quite well documented and I have quite a lot of information on them.

John Henry Lee came to London c.1835 and from then on until his death in 1899 I have all available information. What I have never found is any information on the Lee family in Birmingham. He
    had two known brothers James & Frederick Lee the latter appearing with John Henry and his family on the 1841 census in Clerkenwell. It is the Birmingham end that is vague and I would like to
    have information on the family. Lee is not the easiest name to track but I believe they were involved with gold and brass. In London we see John Henry as a Gold Figurine Maker at one stage.

Any information would be most welcome.

dreen22
    Last edited by dreen22; 20-02-12, 06:10.

What sort of resources have you tried so far? I can make a few suggestions...

Have a look at Warwickshire in the FTF Reference Library.
    Join Birmingham History Forum http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/forum.php
    FamilySearch (they keep adding stuff)
    Trade Directories
    Online trees - provided they are viewed with a healthy scepticism - can be a source of testable ideas.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

"Online trees - provided they are viewed with a healthy scepticism - can be a source of testable ideas."

I like that thought and it's certainly good advice!
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        "Online trees - provided they are viewed with a healthy scepticism - can be a source of testable ideas."

I like that thought and it's certainly good advice!
        Margaret
        Thank you, Margaret! I've found some useful stuff online, but I've also seen some things where it's clear that no-one had looked at the arithmetic and applied common sense. Mind you, I've sometimes done that myself, and only spotted the error when I went back, later (with a cooler head, perhaps).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lee in Birmingham

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          What sort of resources have you tried so far? I can make a few suggestions...

Have a look at Warwickshire in the FTF Reference Library.
          Join Birmingham History Forum http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/forum.php
          FamilySearch (they keep adding stuff)
          Trade Directories
          Online trees - provided they are viewed with a healthy scepticism - can be a source of testable ideas.

Christine
          John Henry was one of the first people I started researching almost 20 yrs ago. At that time we did not have the benefit of WWW, Ancestry etc. Much more
          superseded him and he got pushed back apart from Census, BDM's etc. However, I did find his birth on the IGI and that was it for the Birmingham end. Perhaps
          I wil look at the BFHS.

Thanks.

Dreen

Comment

Hi dreen22

This might be one you are looking for???
            At St Martins, Birmingham: James Lee baptised 19th June 1815, son of James and Ann Lee living Balsall Street, James occupation cabinet maker.

At the moment I can not find a John baptised in 1814. Are you certain of the year?
            Jaynie

Comment

dreen22

I think I have found it.
              At St Martins: John Henry Lee baptised March 29th 1813, son of James and Ann Lee living Birchall? Street, Deritend (I think it says Birchall), Occupation Cabinet maker.
              Jaynie

Comment

Many thanks Janie.
                Apologies for stating the wrong year for John Henry. Many years ago I did find the birth entry on the IGI, way back when I used our Public Library to access. However,
                I could not for the life me find anything on the present day IGI online at Family Search.org ... they have made so many changes. Thank you for your input, most welcome.

dreen22

Comment

dreen22 - I have looked for Frederick but can't see him - do you have any idea of his birth year? Also their father James' birth year?

Comment

Originally posted by jaynie View Post
                    dreen22 - I have looked for Frederick but can't see him - do you have any idea of his birth year? Also their father James' birth year?
                    Hi Jaynie. Thanks for further message.
                    Frederick Lee was born c1826, profession Gold Piercer (the same as John henry, at that time) There is also a sister Louisa b.c1821. Their father James Lee was born in
                    1782 and married Ann Balnaves.

dreen22

Comment

Working...
                    X