Donald Swanson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Swanson

Good afternoon from the sunny gold coast....i am wondering if anyone could provide me with any information on my great grandad, Donald Swanson - Donald was born in Thurso, Caithness 09th July 1882, his mother was Isabella (nee manson) & his dad was John - in the 1911 census Donald is down as being 29 living in St George & a manager of a ladies tailor shop. Donald married Lillian Edith Robinson (my great grandma) sometime in 1911 they seperated & subsequently divorced in 1919 - they had 1 child my grandad bill (horace swanson - 08th April 1917)....this is where the trail ends as far as being able to source any further information on Donald - i know he served in WW1 in 1916 (i have attached a copy from the national archives if anyone is any good at explaining all the information on it?)
    I'm living in australia makes it damn hard to source death certificates etc, any ideas/help or guidance would be most appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cherylc; 20-02-12, 22:37.

freebmd is an index to civil BMD registrations in England.

There is a Donald Swanson, age 76, who died in Thanet district, Kent in 2nd qtr, 1959 -> birth year 1882-1883 - sounds good? Only way to know for certain is to order the cert.

Comment

Cheryl...lucky you. I'm stuck in Tenterfield NSW and have to imagine the ocean after living within a spit of the GC for many years...

The certs are just as easy to get from here and the same price. They don't add postage (but don't tell them or they might start) Only ever order from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Comment

Welcome to FTF, cherylc.

You are talking about Scottish records in your post. They are held separately from those for England & Wales. The principal source for BMD and census info in Scotland is ScotlandsPeople. It's run by the Scottish GRO - a.k.a. GROS. There is no structure for subscriptions - it's all P.A.Y.G., and not enormously cheap if you have a common name; however, Scottish law is different from the law in E&W, and it means that you can get images of the actual registers for the price of a few credits, so long as you don't need the info certified for any reason.

What does hold good, is that it's inconceivable that it would be worth paying any organisation to obtain certs on your behalf, when you can get the info, direct, for yourself.

I recommend you have a look in the FTF Reference Library at the info that's available about Scottish research.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

are you looking for info prior to 1911? or do you already have this information.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1891: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...otland&indiv=1

Source Citation: Parish: Thurso; ED: 5; Page: 7; Line: 19; Roll: CSSCT1891_10.

address: Durness St, Thurso, Caithness

John Swanson 34
            Isabella Swanson 31
            Isabella Swanson 11
            Donald Swanson 8
            Nellie Swanson 4
            Mary Swanson 2
            Benjamin Swanson 29 (he is stated as Brother, so, presume its Johns brother)
            John Swanson 12
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 20-02-12, 16:59.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I hesitated before making this suggestion, but all families have skeletons in their cupboards and I would advise anyone who would be upset to find one not to take up family history. You perhaps ought to bear in mind that a major cause of divorce in both wars was the wife getting pregnant when the husband was overseas. I suppose you know your granddad's exact birthday in Jun qtr 1917 and so can calculate whether your great-granddad was still around before he joined up in July 1916. Just a thought.
              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I think you might find more information about his WW1 service if you ask on the Great War Forum. Just looking at the document it would seem that he was an LAC (leading aircraftman?) at HMS Daedalus and either he or his records were transferred to the RAF. (The RAF wasn't formed until 1918) HMS Daedalus appears to have been a RNAS (Royal Naval Air Service) air station and there is some information about it here but those on the Great War Forum may be able to give more details

I don't know if you are aware but there are some divorce records for Donald Swanson and Edith Lilian at The National Archives. Edith petitioned for divorce. I have never seen any actual divorce records so I have no idea what they contain or how much it would cost to get copies.

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
                Jackie

Comment

hi there, yes under no illusions that there are skeletons lying around & know a few of them already hence their divorce however it was an affair Donald apparently was having that prompted lilian to up & leave without taking anything - Donald's period of engagement started on the 13th July 1916 my grandad was born pretty much 9 months later (08th April 1917) so quite likely lilian conceived before he left....which according to my family knowledge was the case, but again who knows

Comment

thanks night owl for the information you have supplied as it is hard for me to decipher any information in the document - i will definately look up what you have provided

Comment

Do you know if Donald married the woman he was having the affair with?
                      Jackie

Comment

well according to my grandads half sister donald always maintained he wasnt having an affair! however who knows perhaps he did, lilian remarried & they all immigrated to nz....i wish i could find out more about donald cause he is my real blood line but unfortunately keep hitting brick walls :-/

Comment

I just wondered if you knew her name you could then see if there was a marriage. His name isn't that uncommon but a couple - especially if they had children - might be easier to trace
                          Jackie

Comment

no there was no mention of names however i am led to believe she was one of the clothing models or something in that area - according to family knowledge they would walk their dogs together all the time & quite by accident lilian found out about it & thats when it all turned pear shape!! i guess my journey in to donald's life history would be a whole lot easier if i lived in the uk....i was thinking i could probably trace him through electoral rolls?

Comment

Originally posted by cherylc View Post
                              Good afternoon from the sunny gold coast....i am wondering if anyone could provide me with any information on my great grandad, Donald Swanson - Donald was born in Thurso, Caithness 09th July 1882, his mother was Isabella (nee manson) & his dad was John - in the 1911 census Donald is down as being 29 living in St George & a manager of a ladies tailor shop. Donald married Lillian Edith Robinson (my great grandma) sometime in 1911 they seperated & subsequently divorced in 1919 - they had 1 child my grandad bill (horace swanson - 08th April 1917)....this is where the trail ends as far as being able to source any further information on Donald - i know he served in WW1 in 1916 (i have attached a copy from the national archives if anyone is any good at explaining all the information on it?)
                              I'm living in australia makes it damn hard to source death certificates etc, any ideas/help or guidance would be most appreciated
                              Hi, I'm in Australia too. Just thought I would let you know that there is a Private Donald Swanson, born Thurso, Caithness, who died in WW1 while serving in France and belonged to the 5th Seaforth Highlanders (Ross Shire Buffs) soldier no. 2866. He died on 15 June 1915 killed in action in Flanders, France. I have access to a copy of the memorial scroll that was printed for these soldiers. It's close timing with the divorce mentioned but MAYBE the divorce was as a result of a liaison in France, OR even that the death notification didn't reach. (Source: Find my Past UK).
                              Recently a lot of Scottish records were added to Find My Past - have been more than happy with FMP.

Not sure whether I can post that certificate here or send it by PM.
                              hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

hi there i came across this death notice as well but i am fairly certain he survived the war & they were together sometime before they seperated - so the numbers wouldnt stack up....i am fairly certain my previous source of information would of told me if he died in action as everything else has stacked up to date :-)

Comment

Originally posted by hscott21c View Post
                                  Hi, I'm in Australia too. Just thought I would let you know that there is a Private Donald Swanson, born Thurso, Caithness, who died in WW1 while serving in France and belonged to the 5th Seaforth Highlanders (Ross Shire Buffs) soldier no. 2866. He died on 15 June 1915 killed in action in Flanders, France. I have access to a copy of the memorial scroll that was printed for these soldiers. It's close timing with the divorce mentioned but MAYBE the divorce was as a result of a liaison in France, OR even that the death notification didn't reach. (Source: Find my Past UK).
                                  Recently a lot of Scottish records were added to Find My Past - have been more than happy with FMP.

Not sure whether I can post that certificate here or send it by PM.
                                  You can obtain a free copy of a memorial cert from here: http://www.cwgc.org/

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

no there was no mention of names however i am led to believe she was one of the clothing models or something in that area - according to family knowledge they would walk their dogs together all the time & quite by accident lilian found out about it & thats when it all turned pear shape!! i guess my journey in to donald's life history would be a whole lot easier if i lived in the uk....i was thinking i could probably trace him through electoral rolls?
                                    I suppose with him being a manager in a ladies tailors he may have come into contact with models.

I'm not sure that electoral registers would help. There are some London ones on Ancestry but they only give you a name and address - you'd have no way of knowing whether it was the right one - that's if he stayed in London. Most historic electoral registers aren't searchable by name (or online) - you have to know the address and then see who was living there (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I wonder if the way to go would be to go backwards first - did he have any brothers or sisters and can they or their descendants be traced?
                                    Jackie

Comment

the divorce records will help, it is worth it getting the archives to send you copies. my english divorces revealed children i was unaware of, as well as copies of the birth certs for them, and the marriages of the parents, as well as their whereabouts during the divorces.

Comment

hi there, yes under no illusions that there are skeletons lying around & know a few of them already hence their divorce however it was an affair Donald apparently was having that prompted lilian to up & leave without taking anything - Donald's period of engagement started on the 13th July 1916 my grandad was born pretty much 9 months later (08th April 1917) so quite likely lilian conceived before he left....which according to my family knowledge was the case, but again who knows
                                        Good. Sounds like there was a fond farewell despite later differences. The main point is that you are probably not wasting your time researching someone who might not have really been an ancestor.
                                        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X