Dawkins in Deal, Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawkins in Deal, Kent

I've hit a brick wall with my 4x ggrandfather William Dawkins.

He was employed and recorded in the 1861 census as a a Master Mariner onboard the Sea Nymph in Greenock East, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

The census says that he was born circa 1824 in Deal, Kent.

When he was 23, he married Eliza Laybourn on 18 Dec 1847 in Hartlepool, Durham, England. Father's name - George Dawkins, Occupation of father - Farmer (from Williams marriage certificate).

He died 22 Jan 1863 in At sea (onboard The Cimbria)

My problem is, I cannot find/confirm any record of his birth, his mother, his father's birth/marriage/death or any records prior to his wedding in 1847.

Any help from you will be gratefully appreciated.

Paul

Surnames:- Johnson, Dawkins, Crutchley, Tiplady, Cranney, Rough.

Areas:- Hartlepool, Cleveland, Co. Durham, Cumberland, Westmoreland, Yorkshire, Bedfordshire

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Familysearch has this one for 1818 Deal Kent parents are John Dawkins and Jane Dawkins

I dont have subscription sites

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQKN-552

Familysearch has this one for 1818 Deal Kent parents are John Dawkins and Jane Dawkins

I dont have subscription sites
      Thank you for looking but, I think this must be the wrong one because his marriage certificate says that his father's name was George.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Sorry PJ Of H

I rushed in there without taking in all the information.

Edna

Comment

There's a baptism for a William Dawkins 22nd Apr 1824 Woodnesborough parents George & Margaret.(IGI) This place is about 6 miles from Deal.
          Moggie

Looks like George Dawkins wife Margaret was an ag lab & not a farmer. (census info)
          Last edited by maudarby; 20-02-12, 11:01.

Comment

Maudarby,

That's excellent! That would fit. ag lab is short for agricultural labourer. Finally getting somewhere.

Thank you

Comment

Perhaps William "upped" his father's occupation to farmer as it sounded grander.
              Moggie

Comment

There's a marriage in the IGI George Dawkins & Margaret Woodland 22nd Oct 1814 at Woodnesborough & several other children baptised there some with the middle name of Woodland.
                Moggie

Comment

If he really was a master mariner (and wasn't just bigging himself up!) you might be able to find records which can include eg dob and parents as well as ships he served on. Every master mariner had a number which you can trace.

If he was in the merchant navy the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich have records. Not sure about the RN.

FTF reference page might also help http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ritime-History.

Also Googlebooks have books listing master mariners for some years, like this: http://books.google.co.uk/books?pg=P...page&q&f=false
                  Last edited by Lindsay; 20-02-12, 15:36.

Comment

Working...
                  X