Occupations: Warehouseman vs Porter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupations: Warehouseman vs Porter

I have a death certificate for a man I think matches the John Mitchell I'm looking for.

In the census and other records that I know are his, he was:
    warehouseman (1841 & 1851)
    gentleman
    contractor
    annuitant
    no occupation
    tinplate worker (only once, on a daughter's baptism. I think it's inconrrect)
    <blank>

and the death certificate that I think matches him says Porter.

Do you think that's close enough to be the same person? His son was the informant.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-02-12, 15:59.

As his occupation appears to have changed on a regular basis I would say there is a good chance. The thing is - do you recognise the son's details or any address etc on the certificate?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Certainly warehouseman and porter could be the same.

I had a similar problem with my great grandfather who had been a printer/publisher then gentleman all his adult life but when I got a death cert that had to be him it said occupation 'engineers storekeeper' so I was baffled until I found out from other contacts that he had used up all his money drinking and gambling and so had to find work for the last years of his life - my great grandmother had left him by then to live with one of her daughters.

This might have been what happened to your man (not that he drank and gambled) after losing his income.

Margaret

Comment

No. The family seemed to move regularly, so I can't be certain it is he. If this is the correct death cert, it blows up the family line that has been patched together: The William that is my g'g'grandfather was living in Devon at the time, and could write. This son, William, marked an 'x' and was living on Darling Row. Bummer. But this is the only logical death cert?

I'll post another thread to ask if this is the only logical death cert.

thanks

Comment

I have someone who described himself as a warehouseman and gentleman on different occasions - they were quite comfortably off so I suspect it was more management than moving the stock around! Perhaps your man had started at the bottom and worked his way up.

I also have a death cert for someone else giving his job as 'messenger' - which had only been mentioned once before as his job, about 60 years before. Depends who registers the death, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            No. The family seemed to move regularly, so I can't be certain it is he. If this is the correct death cert, it blows up the family line that has been patched together: The William that is my g'g'grandfather was living in Devon at the time, and could write. This son, William, marked an 'x' and was living on Darling Row. Bummer. But this is the only logical death cert?

I'll post another thread to ask if this is the only logical death cert.

thanks
            Some people marked with an X because that is what the registrar said to them, not 'sign here' but 'put a cross here'.

Comment

That's interesting, Margaret, thank you. Still, I don't want it to be him, because the residence would still be a mismatch, and these are the most likely people to connect to!

Comment

Working...
              X