WW1 serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 serial numbers

I have my grandfathers original records from WW1, not the entire set but demob papers, medical records, letters from his CO and that sort of thing. One thing that puzzles me though is his ID or serial number; it is only 5 digits. I would have thought that these numbers would be at least 7 or more digits owing to the number of men and women in the military at the time.

Is there another serial number in addition to this 5 digit number? Or am I looking at something that is not, in fact, his serial number?

RJM,

Was your g/father in the UK or Canadian forces ? I am not sure about the Canadian system but in UK prior to the end of 1916

Territorial Forces (TF) men were numbered to their unit, i.e. could use any number of digits up to 5. For example my g/father was

3394 and after the renumbering he became 278394. In early 1917 the numbering system was changed to a 6 digit number. I think that

if a mans service number was changed it generally has a line drawn through it and the new number written near the original one.

The link below will give you a better insight into soldiers serial numbers.

I don't believe that you are looking at a number which is not his serial number in this case.
    Last edited by grumpy; 19-02-12, 02:58.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks for the link grumpy. My grandfather was in the British Army, Cheshire Reg't

Comment

Working...
      X