Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William Lake (about 1811- ) and Emma Court (about 1811 - 1895)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Lake (about 1811- ) and Emma Court (about 1811 - 1895)

I have a particularly troublesome pair of 3x ggrandparents, William Lake (about 1811- ) and Emma Court (about 1811 - 1895), and am wondering if anyone here can offer any ideas. Emma died at age 84 and is buried in Ontario, Canada. Apart from that I have been unable to find any documents which are verifyably them. To complicate matters, there are a pair with the same names & approximate dates who ended up in Salt Lake City, Utah who are NOT my ancestors. My research keeps identifying that couple, but so does the research of the Utah family. Both lead back to Emma being born 14 Feb 1811 in Bishops Nympton, Devon, England and that obviously can't be correct.
    My info is solid regarding their son, John Lake (1826 or 1833 - 1889) and his wife Ann Sloman (1827-1893), and their daughters Emma (1856-1940) and Mary (1867-1944).

I'm posting here in hopes this sounds familiar to someone, or that someone has some ideas ... because I'm running out of them.

Why can't it be correct that Emma Court was born 1811 in Bishops Nympton? where do you have your Emma Born?

You asked about this on another thread and gave William's name as Court not Lake - which is it?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      Why can't it be correct that Emma Court was born 1811 in Bishops Nympton? where do you have your Emma Born?

You asked about this on another thread and gave William's name as Court not Lake - which is it?

Margaret
      I suspect that Prairie chicken means that it isn't possible for both couples of the same name to be both different and also for the wife to be the same woman, rather than meaning Emma's baptism info being incorrect.

Not sure that that is any clearer!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Can you give us more info on all these people, what do you know for certain please?

Comment

Oh dear, I'm sorry if I said William Court somewhere. This is confusing enough without a typo.

It's Emma Court & William Lake that are my problem. My info is solid regarding their son, John Lake (1833-1889)--his daughter, Emma Lake Hunt was my maternal ggrandmother & we have photos, bibles, etc. to document. I also have family information suggesting that Emma Court Lake is buried in Ontario near where her son John & his family immigrated to. There is no mention of William having gone to Canada.

I also have data from another family member (pre www research) which indicates John's parents were Emma or Emmaline Court (born 18 Feb 1811 in Bishops Nympton) and William (possibly John) Lake (born about 1811 in North Molton, Devon), but nothing to verify this info. This data also traces the line back to a Venner family in the early 1700's. My own research on Ancestry found this same data & it seems reasonable. However, I continually encounter a William Lake & Emma Court who married and ended up in Utah. These two, but especially Emma, appear to be the same individuals who were born in Bishops Nympton & North Molton, and also trace family back to the Venners. They appear in the same geographic area in census data. I have no indication my ancesters moved to Utah--I do have firm evidence that the son John, his family, and his mother (Emma Court Lake) moved to Ontario. So to answer Margaret's question, Emma can't be buried in two places at the same time. Either the Utah family has identified the wrong Emma (& likely William), or I have.

I find William & Emma in various English census (1841, 51, 61) but am unable to determine if they are the Utah family or the Ontario family.

My eyes are crossing on this one, again. Any ideas from someone with a fresh outlook would be welcome.

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

The marriage is on Familysearch 12 feb 1832 married at North Molton Devon

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N5QH-F2Z baptism Emlyn Court 1811 parents Joseph Court and Elizabeth

Edna

Comment

Why was your maternal great grandmother named Emma Lake Hunt? Surely her name should just have been Emma Lake?

You say you have 'family information suggesting that Emma Court Lake is buried in Ontario' what exactly is this information? We have seen on here how misleading family information can be. Do you know which cemetery?

The names are unusual enough for me to think that the Utah family are most likely yours unless you have some proof positive that this is incorrect.

Margaret

Comment

Here they are I think in 1841 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1247113

William and Emma with 4 children including John. William is an ag lab.

Margaret

Comment

This looks like them in 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=17592165

There is a John Lake aged 86 in the household shown a lodger and widower - is he William's father?

There are 4 young children in the household.

Margaret

Comment

and again in 1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=18926168
                      with daughter Sarah age 25 and her child of 1 month plus 2 more children!
                      Margaret

Comment

Here they are in 1870 in USA Emma Lake
                        Home in 1870: Salt Lake City Ward 19, Salt Lake, Utah Territory
                        William Lake 68
                        Emma Lake 59
                        Silas Lake 14 <<<<<< this is the last son born in the UK shown on the 1861 census
                        Susan Williams 20

Reference r: 1870; Census Place: Salt Lake City Ward 19, Salt Lake, Utah Territory; Roll: M593_1611; Page: 709A; Image: 765; Family History Library Film: 553110.

Margaret
                        Last edited by margaretmarch; 18-02-12, 20:59.

Comment

and in 1880

Silas Theopelus Lake 24
                          Annie Elizabeth Lake 22
                          Elizabeth Ann Lake 2
                          Archibald Wm. Lake 3m
                          Emma Lake 69 mother widowed

Reference Year: 1880; Census Place: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah; Roll: 1337; Family History Film: 1255337; Page: 138D; Enumeration District: 047;
                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 18-02-12, 21:02.

Comment

and finally the grave

Emma Lake
                            Death Date: 11 Nov 1894
                            Death Place: Salt Lake City, Utah
                            Burial Date: 11 November 1894
                            Cemetery: Salt Lake City Cemetery
                            Source: Sexton Records
                            Grave Location: I-14-11-2-N1/2

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N2GM-C5G Joseph Court married Elizabeth Venner 13 sept 1807 Rose Ash Devon

So the Venner link is through Emmalines mother

Edna

Comment

So, how do you know she's buried in Ontario? Have you searched OCFA:

Comment

Do you have a death cert or registration for John? An obit?

Where did he die?
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-02-12, 04:34.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                    So, how do you know she's buried in Ontario? Have you searched OCFA:
                                    http://ocfa.islandnet.com
                                    I just tried that link and it told me my IP was blocked - do you have to be in Canada to use the site?

Margaret

Comment

is emma's death on ancestry? some canadian deaths for ontario are accessible on ancestry.....

Comment

Working...
                                      X