ARGH Cowells in Kent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH Cowells in Kent!

Hi everyone, I am very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post! I am hoping you will be able to help me, I am having trouble with Kent the county.
    I have traced my husbands side of the family back to William Archibald Cowell he was born in Margate in Kent in 1859, I have confirmed him with various census' and a prison record which came as a shock! But now I am trying to find his father John Cowell and I am having no luck, I know he was John Cowell but that's it.... William's marriage listing references John as his father, but I have no other information. As the dates are going back to the 1830s I can't use census to find out if i have the right person.... As I said I am new to this family tree bit, could someone please tell me how to confirm you have the right ancestor from a possible list when you don't have censuses! Sorry if I am being a bit thick, and you all probably have done this a thousand times....but I am grateful.
    Justine
    xx

I don't know what information people usually give, so I will give all i know ......
    William Archibald Cowell (1859)married Sarah FLoyd (1864) in st amry's walthamstow 21 aug 1882
    they had 7 children
    Eliza L 1883
    William A 1884
    Nellie 1887
    Susan 1890
    John 1892
    George Ernest 1896
    Lilly 1899

I have evidence from 1891 , 1901 census
    wife Sarah was born in Shoreditch London 1864 and shows on 1871 census as living at Higham hill comon
    William's prison record is in 1901 Chelmsford Great Baddow discovered it was for theft.
    oh and William was a fish monger & poulterer
    Last edited by Justine Cowell; 18-02-12, 13:19.

Welcome to FTF!

First things first, have you got William Cowell's birth certificate? That will confirm his parent's names. It's not unknown for people to make up their father's name when they marry eg if they're illegitimate.

Also, do you have William in earlier censuses - 1861, 1871?

Comment

H'm, no likely William Archibald Cowell births registered, but this looks like a possible:

Dec 1857 Cowell William Thanet 2a 621

(this is from the FreeBMD site http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)

Ooh, and this looks like William in 1861 with his parents:
      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...ln=Cowell&st=g.

Pre-1837 and censuses you need to start looking at baptism, marriage and burial records, wills, newspapers - anything which might help to confirm you have the right person!
      Last edited by Lindsay; 18-02-12, 14:15.

Comment

This looks like the same family in 1851 that Lindsey posted in 1861. If the birth certificate for your William gives John as the father (possibly a railway porter) and the mother as Eliza nee Young there is a possible marriage in June 1846 - John Cowell and one of the females on the page is Eliza Young - I of Thanet - ref 5 605.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Assuming that these two census entries are the right ones, where was John born? 1851 suggests St.Peters just outside Broadstairs, but the 1861 entry looks like Geo Hill to me. Ancestry have transcribed it as Goxhill but I think this is because the transcribers in the Phillipines or wherever have access to a list of place names and Goxhill is a place up north, but I have never heard of it in Kent, but then I have not heard of Geo Hill either. There is a St. George's Hill in Surrey but I think that is unlikely to be his birthplace. Any other ideas?

Later - I agree with Di, 3 posts down.
          Last edited by webwiz; 19-02-12, 19:00.
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Wow you guys really are fab!, I have seen the one in Thanet, and thought it most likely. Unfortunately I haven't got an ancestry account, (only a free one) as were a bit low on funds at the moment. so all my research is on free sites, and FMP I was gifted some credit for my birthday!thank you all so much.

I dont know if any of you have the ability to use the Snipping tool but if so i would be very grateful of a jpeg of what you can see!
            thanks
            justine

Comment

and does Kent have an opc page? have I missed it or am i looking in the wrong place?

Comment

Hi Justine

I don't think Kent has an OPC page, but there is a website called theweald.org (not theweald.org.uk, which is a school) which has lots of Kent records. Idon't think Margate or Ramsgate are covered. If John Cowell and Eliza Young are the right parents of William, there is an ancestry public tree with them included. I don't think you will be able to see it, which says John Cowell was born about 1818 in St Peters Kent, but if you look closer, it means St Peters, RAMSGATE, Kent. I do hate the way the parish is included in a lot of ancestry pickups but not the town. You have to look at the original to see what town is meant.

There is an IGI entry for John Cowell, baptised to William And Elizabeth Cowell, 16 Mar 1817, St Peters Thanet, Kent.

My Kent geography is not too brilliant, but it seems like the same place. The 1841 census shows them living on George Hill, part of St Peters and Broadstairs, between Ramsgate and Margate. Its now called George Hill Road. I use googlemaps a lot to help work out whether a baptism and a census entry seem likely to match - it helps no end as I live in Australia and have limited geographic knowledge of the UK.

Di
                Last edited by dicole; 18-02-12, 23:44. Reason: better information
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

dont forget too Di that if Justine registers with www.mundia.com then she can see Ancestry free-trees and initiate contact with the owners, (as mundia is a sister site of Ancestry)
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

have you got william in 1911? there's a william cowell, inmate in the west ashward workhouse in kent. he is 53, b.1858 in woodchurch kent. occupation listed as a farm labourer.

Comment

And there is the Kent page in our Reference Library.. which has alot of links for the Kent area.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                      X