Why would this be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would this be?

Have got Walter Albert Trowbridge born 5th November 1889 in Queen Charlotte's Hospital. London.

Every other persons' birth certificate I have ( and believe me, I've got lots!) they have always born at home or in the Workhouse.

What would have caused him to be born in a hospital?

Any ideas?

Linda

Those you have who were born in the workhouse were probably in effect born "in hospital" because the workhouse provided infirmary facilities for the poor. Queen Charlotte's was also intended for the poor see http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/queencharlottemarylebone.html
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith,

Very interesting page you found.

I was hoping they were wealthy!

Linda

Comment

the lying in hospital in holbein sounds posh, and i guess it is really. my ancestor was born there in 1801, and you needed to be 'recommended' to get in there. it was for married women only, and seems to have been used for the wives of soldiers and artisans.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          the lying in hospital in holbein sounds posh, and i guess it is really. my ancestor was born there in 1801, and you needed to be 'recommended' to get in there. it was for married women only, and seems to have been used for the wives of soldiers and artisans.
          I have a note about an ancestor at the "Lying Inn Hospital City Road" that also required a letter of recommendation.

Comment

Working...
          X