• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New today (16 Feb 2012) on FMP

Find My Past have now got the 1891 Scottish Census on their site,

Happy Hunting

Linda

Title edited by Christine in Herts, to avoid future confusion over "today".
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-02-12, 12:45.

Well - transcriptions, anyway. Thanks for the alert: a new part of our family has Scottish heritage in her tree.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

they are definitely closing the gap with ancestry for census. i had hoped though, since scotlandspeople and findmypast are owned by brightsolid they may have been able to put images up. but there is some sort of law involved.

Comment

I think I read that somewhere too..still it's better than nothing

Linda

Comment

Unless of course, their transcriptions are WAY OUT!!

Comment

yes, ancestry has some shocking transcripts, but the actual images can be very feint. i have an ancestor 'Catherine' transcribed as 'kel', turns out that's what's on the image.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              yes, ancestry has some shocking transcripts, but the actual images can be very feint. i have an ancestor 'Catherine' transcribed as 'kel', turns out that's what's on the image.
              I hate not being able to see the original images... I really feel as if I'm missing out.

Comment

i think transcribing them is a very good substitute, but trying to get the correct image on scotlandspeople is really terrible. for example, if your looking for a rebecca matheson in lochalsh, b.1850, and you have 3 candidates, there is no way to get the correct one, it's just pot luck until you buy the correct image.....that is if your credit's haven't run out by then.....

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyHistoryStories View Post
                  I hate not being able to see the original images... I really feel as if I'm missing out.
                  Once you've got a reasonable "hit" from Ancestry or FMP you can look for it on SP with some confidence and get the image at relatively low cost.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i got all excited when i saw this thread, i thought they'd uploaded their 'westminster' collection. haha 1891 scots census is exciting, but westminster records could break a stalemate!

Comment

i think transcribing them is a very good substitute, but trying to get the correct image on scotlandspeople is really terrible. for example, if your looking for a rebecca matheson in lochalsh, b.1850, and you have 3 candidates, there is no way to get the correct one, it's just pot luck until you buy the correct image.....that is if your credit's haven't run out by then.....
                      I like the transcriptions.. I've not really 'done' census searches on SP.. I save those credits for BMD's... However, that being said, yesterday I spent 120 credits on SP searching for the other halfs Scottish Ancestors.. Wouldn't it be great to have a Subscription service there... like FMP & Ancestry..

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      Once you've got a reasonable "hit" from Ancestry or FMP you can look for it on SP with some confidence and get the image at relatively low cost.
                      Very true... but credits run out fairly quickly when you have to 'pay' to see search results.. :'(

Comment

i got all excited when i saw this thread, i thought they'd uploaded their 'westminster' collection. haha 1891 scots census is exciting, but westminster records could break a stalemate!
                        Ahh... British Newspaper Archive has partially helped to break mine...

Comment

Does anybody know if these Scottish transcriptions on FMP will include the 1911 Scottish census before long? I am wondering whether to wait as I have a rather long protracted search that will need to be done on the 1911 Scottish census, owing to the fact I have first names and ages of children on a photograph but no second name!! If I did this sort of search through SP it could cost me!!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X