Thelpunger, Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thelpunger, Norfolk

Anyone from Norfolk know what this place is supposed to be, can't find anything on Google. My ancestor Elizabeth Bell , born there on the 1871 census. Her hubby born Banham, no problem.

sunny

I think it may actually be Shelfanger on the census image, which is in the same registration district as East Harling where they were in 1871.
    Last edited by JudithM; 15-02-12, 22:34.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thankyou Judith.Maybe now I'll find her parents.

sunny

Comment

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/chu...R=TM117.0800.0 Parishes within 3 miles

This may give a clue to what is in the area

Edna

Comment

Might this be her:
          Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

It is almost certainly Shelfanger (or Shelfhanger as my husband insists on calling it). Its near Diss, as is Banham (where youngest boy lives).
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-02-12, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
              thanks william, but Bell was her married name.

sunny

Comment

Hi, just found the marriage, looks like she had the first son when she was unmarried. On the 1871 she has a Henry Tye aged 9 with them.

County Norfolk
                Place East Harling
                Church St Peter and St Paul
                RegisterNumber 244
                MarriageDate 10 Oct 1863
                GroomForename Robert
                GroomSurname BELL
                GroomAge 29
                GroomParish
                GroomCondition Bachelor
                GroomOccupation blacksmith
                GroomAbode East Harling
                BrideForename Elizabeth
                BrideSurname TYE
                BrideAge 21
                BrideParish
                BrideCondition Spinster
                BrideOccupation
                BrideAbode East Harling
                GroomFatherForename Charles
                GroomFatherSurname BELL
                GroomFatherOccupation Blacksmith
                BrideFatherForename
                BrideFatherSurname
                BrideFatherOccupation
                WitnessOneForename Samuel
                WitnessOneSurname SAYER
                WitnessTwoForename Elizabeth
                WitnessTwoSurname WIX
                Notes both signed
                FileNumber 10222

Yes, she had the son Henry when she was unmarried:

County Norfolk
                Place East Harling
                Church St Peter and St Paul
                RegisterNumber 880
                DateOfBirth 21 Nov 1861
                BaptismDate 09 Feb 1862
                Forename Henry
                Sex M
                FatherForename
                MotherForename Elizabeth
                FatherSurname
                MotherSurname TYE
                Abode Harling
                FatherOccupation
                Notes illegitimate
                FileNumber 10201

Baps for the three Bell kids:

Baptisms 30 Dec 1864 BELL Alfred Thomas Norfolk East Harling Mother Surname
                4 Baptisms 19 Dec 1869 BELL Ellen Norfolk East Harling Mother Surname
                5 Baptisms 19 Dec 1869 BELL Rosetta Norfolk East Harling Mother Surname

Her birth reg

Births Mar 1841
                Tye Elizabeth Guiltcross 13 162

In 1861 she is a lodger with the Dodd family (mistranscribed as Tyce)

She is in Guiltcross Workhouse, Kenninghall, near Banham aged 10

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

She missed the 1841 I think :( But there is a bunch of Tyes, father Robert an innkeeper in Gressenhall in the 41? but probably not hers)
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-02-12, 16:45.

Comment

Thanks Heather, did you notice that Harry Tye was registered as Harry Bell Tye,Dec Q 1861 , he used the name Bell after he married. I wondered if that was Elizabeth as Eliza in the Workhouse n 1851, looks like her parents had died. And thanks you have just given me Robert's father who I believed to be Charles.

sunny
                  Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 16-02-12, 21:07. Reason: to add

Comment

Theres also an Ellen Tye aged 4 born Shelfanger who is in the workhouse sunny

Oh just found an Elizabeth Tye aged 10 I wonder if thats a mistake on the 1841(10 days??) with an Eliza Tye aged 20??? in the same workhouse.(it says shelfanger next to them in margin) Well, looks like she was illegitimate.

Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 17-02-12, 12:18.

Comment

Heather I've just found a death for an Eliza Tye in Guiltcross Mar Qtr 1851, this might be Elizabeths Mum, I think I will chance it and send for the death cert, that might be why Elizabeth is on her own on the 1851,poor girl.

sunny

Comment

Isnt it sad. It comes to life for you sometimes doesnt it. I reckon that is her aged 10 days in the 1841 with her 20 year old mum. Is that girl Ellen her sister do you think?

The Ellen girl, born shelfanger in the workhouse 1851 goes on to marry a man called Day. The marriage apparently gives a George Tye, labourer as father? May be Eliza did marry and George was split from them in the workhouse? Or may be its just a cover for being illegitimate. Remember the Shelfanger/Diss area is very close to the Suffolk border when you do research on them.
                        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 17-02-12, 14:12.

Comment

I found Ellen (born 1949 here) on a family tree on Ancestry but apart from saying her dad was George at the marriage, I couldn't tie her into my tree. Still looking for Caroline after 1851, although i did see a death for a Caroline in 1852, that might be her.

sunny

Comment

Ellen is 4 years old when she is in the Workhouse at same time as Eliza, so born 1847?

Oh bless, I didnt even notice Caroline, poor little devil, 1 year old and in the workhouse. Probably born there I spose. I wonder if the Norfolk records office would have the workhouse records for you? Yes, looks like its her dying.

Oh, now thats interesting - ??ame: Caroline Tye
                            Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1850
                            Registration district: Mildenhall
                            Inferred County: Suffolk
                            Volume: 13
                            Page: 486
                            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 17-02-12, 14:25.

Comment

Working...
                            X