Dare I presume - opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dare I presume - opinions please

Martha Allen Graham, born Bury, Lancs. 20th April 1894.

1901 living in Bury with family.

1911 no trace but there is Patty Graham, born Bury abt 1894 living just round the corner as a domestic servant. (No record of birth found to date.)

1912 passenger list Liverpool to Quebec, Patty Allen Graham, age 19yrs. Occ. domestic.

I know I shouldn't but dare we presume that Marth Allen Graham and Patty Allen Graham are the same person?
    Cath.

have pmd you

Comment

on FMP that migration is transcribed as P A Graham not Patty ?

Comment

Patty was a common pet name for Martha. For ages I thought my 3xgt grandad had married twice then realised that his wief was baptised and married as Patty , became Martha in early married life, then reverted to Patty in old age.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

well you learn something every day I had never heard that before seems odd?

Comment

on FMP that migration is transcribed as P A Graham not Patty ?

Yes Val but she's Patty Allen Graham on Canadian passenger lists.
            Cath.

Comment

Martha - Mattie - Pattie, I suppose (although I've never heard it before).

OC

Comment

It sounds very probable Cath. Is there a marriage in Canada for father's name?

I didn't know about the Martha/Pattie thing either. According to Google, Thomas Jefferson's wife was Martha known as Patty.
                Last edited by Just Gillian; 15-02-12, 18:22.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I've just googled and it would appear that Patty is the Scottish pet name for the Gaelic form of Martha. This was a Scottish family so it would fit in.
                  Cath.

Comment

Martha/Pattie is apparently common in some areas. I'd never heard it until I found a couple of examples in my tree (one in Shropshire and one in Warwickshire, with no Scottish connections).

Comment

Working...
                    X