Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Womens voting

Hi

my great grandmother never married and when she had my nan in 1916 (at the ripe old age of 44) she was a servant in Willesden. From the information my nan left us, her mum went back to working in London while she went to family in Suffolk until she was approximately 5. Now that Ancestry have the electoral records up im interested in trying to find out a bit more about Anna, but she doesnt appear until 1935 which is when my grandad moved in with them.

Did women of this status just not bother/get the chance to vote?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

They didn't have the chance until 1928, when everyone over 21 was entitled to vote, regardless of whether or not they owned property, paid rates etc.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet, so she should be around in 1928/29?
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
        Thanks Janet, so she should be around in 1928/29?
        Not all addresses or years are covered by ancestry records, might be worth checking if the records are just not there.

Margaret

Comment

Also, some women were just not interested in politics so didn't register to vote. It wasn't compulsory to register back then.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X