A quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question

Somewhere on this site I found a note that it was illegal to marry your sibling's widow/er. Now that I want the info I cannot find it. Up until what year was it illegal to marry your sibling's widow in the UK? I have a great great aunt who married her much older sister's widower with children in 1886.

Thanks
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Although it was 'illegal' Nelde it still went on for a long time.
    George's Nan married her brother-in-law when her husband was killed in WW1

She married Thomas in 1916 - he was killed in 1917, and she married his brother George in 1919
    -there were no children from the 1st marriage.

Sorry I can't help you with the date though.

Comment

I found it in Wiki. 1907. There was also the question could you marry your widow's sister? The answer ---- it would be difficult because you would be dead. LOL. In my tree, my great grandmother's younger sister married the widower of the older sister in 1886. Thanks for looking in.
      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Thankyou for that Nelde - I am going to make a note of that date NOW.......:D

Comment

I have that in one of my side branches, but there were a number of children from each marriage. I always thought that would be weird, your half brothers and sisters, also being your cousins.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

But a woman marryng her deceased husband's brother wasn't legal until later.

Deceased Brother’s Widow’s Marriage Act 1921

Chris
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

So my gt. gt. grandfather's marriage to his late wife's brother's widow in 1880 was ok ?

(i.e. when a brother and sister had both died, their widow and widower married each other).

This added some complexity, when my gt. gt. grandfather's grandson married his step-daughter's daughter !

(i.e. his daughter and his step-daughter were also first cousins to each other. Their son and daughter, respectively, married each other, but they were only step-cousins and second cousins to each other !)

Oh, and his daughter and step-daughter were Lillia and Lily.
              Last edited by Chr1s; 14-02-12, 13:39.
              Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
              Warwickshire name: Hart
              German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

Since first cousins can legally marry the step and second cousin issue does not come into it, but how confusing when you come to do a family tree.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X