Free up space ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free up space ?

My computer is telling me i need to free up some space and the "Add or Remove" page come up, i did make some space yesterday but it must'nt have been enough. I have these which take a lot of space.....

Microsoft . NET framework 2.0 service pack 2 size 184.00mb

And

Microsoft . NET framework 3.0 service pack 2 size 179.00mb

Do i need to have both of these as they seem to take a lot of space

I also have ATI Catalist Control centre (dont know what this is) size 208.00mb

Thanks
    Jacky

Microsoft .NET framework is needed for Family Tree Maker, but whether you need 2.0 and 3.0 I am not sure.
    Elaine

Comment

Ati Catalist Control Centre is to do with your Graphics card .
      You have an ATI card so yes you do need it .

Ken

Comment

Thanks Elaine....i think i will get rid of the 2.0 ..

Thanks Ken, i didn't know i had a card...Lol, the man in the computer repair shop must have put it on for me as i've never noticed it until recently.
        Jacky

Comment

Not sure in even short term that will be enough, would think hard drive is in modern terms small (you have not said) they are pretty cheap these days and if you want to prolong life of your comp thats what you really need to do, rather than removing programs that you are not sure of.
          What you do is either make it a slave to main drive (internally in comp case, am assuming its a desktop) or get a external drive via usb.

Comment

Thanks Mike....

Any idea how much a external drive would cost please, this is a Windows xp.

(Bear with me i'm not up on computers)....
            Jacky

Comment

You have not said what size your hard disk is .But , you either have a very old titchy hard disk or it is not set up right and your documents etc. are going to the wrong place.

I have just checked my Laptop , it has a 120GB hard disk , there are 2 users and we both save loads of pics and documents , we have 95GB of empty space left .

A GB = 1000MB , so in my case I have 120x1000 MB ,the files that you posted the size of = 571MB so just over half a GB .

Check the size of your hard disk.

You have to have a graphics card to make the monitor work , it either built into the motherboard or is an extra , either way you have to have drivers for it .

Ken

Comment

I have Free Space 716 mb and Total 7.80 gb on Local disc C

I only do my research on it, Ken
                Jacky

Comment

Jacky,

One of the worst offenders for causing you to have only a little space left on your drive is all the temp files that are opened when you view attachment files or install software.
                  Download and run CCleaner (You CAN trust this software), to see what it finds as temp files etc on your hard drive etc
                  DO NOT delet your 'cookies', as these store such things as your auto-logon details for web sites etc.
                  Try CCleaner Professional for free. Clean up your PC automatically and increase your performances and online privacy.

But to be honest, if the drive is 7.5 GB it is 'titchy' and would very soon get full.
                  Use the main drive on your PC for installing your software applications and a second drive for saving your files to.
                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 13-02-12, 18:57.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor, i'll do that, i'll get another drive at the weekend, i'll go to P* W*rl* where i got this.....
                    Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                      Thanks Mike....

Between £50 to £80, £80 would get a Terra-byte one (thats big)

Comment

Thanks Mike....

Comment

Ohh, thanks Mike, i thought it would be much dearer than that !
                          Jacky

Comment

Just like to say "Thank You" for every one's help today - Much Appreciated
                            Last edited by Tilly Mint; 13-02-12, 20:55. Reason: mistake
                            Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg13 View Post
                              However if the PC was supplied originally with an 8GB drive it may not be able to accept a 1TB drive due to either connectivity or BIOS limitations...

What make/model of PC is it Jacky ??
                              https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine....i think i will get rid of the 2.0 ..

My son advises you NOT to remove either .NET framework items.
                                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It's a Pakard Bell, Pentium 4 - 524 processor, 512 MB, DDR2 memory,
                                  120GB Hard Drive

Just copied this off the Service report left, by the chap who set it up for me.

Is this the info you need, Tim?

Thanks for looking in
                                  Jacky

Comment

Tell your Dave - thanks for that please Wendy , thankfully i didn't have the time to do it !!
                                    Jacky

Comment

It's a Pakard Bell, Pentium 4 - 524 processor, 512 MB, DDR2 memory,
                                      120GB Hard Drive

Just copied this off the Service report left, by the chap who set it up for me.

Is this the info you need, Tim?

Thanks for looking in
                                      is there a serial number on that report ?? OR Model name/number (iconnect / imedia etc...)
                                      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Hiya Tim

Yes, the model number is 1359 and the chap has written next to this 2-5 and what looks like Dart
                                        and the serial number is RN 019991DOP 260806.

Thanks, Tim .
                                        Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                        X