service pension records after WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service pension records after WWII

i was just thinking, i know for sure 2 of my great grandfather's served in WWI. we have photo's of one in his uniform, and my gran says her father served too, the 2 great grandfathers having that in common and would discuss it together at the pub.

mum says that they would have pensions from the army, and while i don't know their regiments, and have looked for their records, assuming they were destroyed in WWII. but surely they would have to prove they were in the army if they had pensions. i know i could never learn much more maybe than their regiments numbers, but would some sort of government agency have pension records?

haha oops.....forgot to say they were english and fought for england!
    Last edited by kylejustin; 13-02-12, 08:39.

Good morning Kyle,......well it is here.......WW1 Pension Records can be seen on Ancestry. Some Service Records were destroyed but what was salvaged can also be seen.
    I'm not sure about WW2 Pension Records but Service Records can be obtained by next of kin or with permission of NoK. I have an address if you want it?

Comment

am not sure Kyle, but that sure is an interesting question, presumably they served in the Aus Army? is there not a Australian 'British Legion' (I know I am not putting myself over the right way, just am struggling atmo) what I mean is, do you have in Aus an equivalent to our British Legion.. this is a body that helps ex servicemen in all manner of ways.. http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

just thought that they or a similar body might be of help if they asked for any help/aid from them.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

haha im sorry guys, have amended my post.....they were english. but it eally was a lightbulb moment. i know all service records for the people serving in WWII and after are kept by the MOD......my grandfather wrote to them for his pension. but i wonder if pensions would have record for soldiers discharged at the end of WWI or more. i havn't been able to find anything on ancestry. i guess it is a long shot?

Comment

I know nothing of military matters, but surely only career servicemen would receive an Army pension, unless they had been wounded. The rank and file would just have got the state old age pension.

OC

Comment

i have no idea about one of their service, though his brother is found in the records. the one i do know of, he was shot twice, and gassed three times. he also survived the somme.

Comment

If you can't find their records on ancestry then I doubt there will be anything elsewhere and even if there was you would not be able to access those records.

WWII records are available from the MOD and you have to send £30 together with the death cert for copies of whatever is held.

The only other thing I think you could do is to see if they were officers at all in which case their records may be held at National Archives Kew.

Margaret

Comment

I got a copy of my Grandfathers card giving minimal pension details some years back, via the Veterans Agency. I knew he served and had a pension due to injury but didn't know his regiment and there were no surviving service records for him. Unfortuanately they have now stopped offering this service due to pressure of work.

It's worth searching the National Archives Catalogue. There is a very small sample held of pension files. Put the surname into the search box and use PIN as the series to search.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

that sounds like a plan anne, but i don't like my chances.

Comment

Must admit I don't either!! Such a small number were retained but it has to be worth a go.
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X