Help with Scottish research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Scottish research

Having been inspired by the "All things Scottish thread" I have decided to try to find out more about my 2x greatgrandparents. I know I've looked at this before and put it to one side, so hopefully someone will be able to help me!

William Wyne b c1813 Greenock, Renfrewshire (source 1841/1871 Scotland census), died 15 June 1873 (source SP Statutory Death register - parents unknown)
    Margaret Brown - b Rothesay, Bute, died 17 August 1905 Lewisham, London.

Marriage date: 3 June 1838 Greenock, Renfrewshire. (source SP OPR marriages)

I have a possible birth date for Margaret Brown of 24 August 1815 (from IGI) but I have no way of knowing if this is the correct one.

How can I work back on William & Margaret?
    Elaine

Elaine did it say any of Margaret's parents names anywhere?

Looking on SP there are

30/7/1812 daughter of Patrick Brown and Ann Morison
    24/1/1816 daughter of Angis Brown and Mary McConachy
    27/10/1816 daughter of Alexander Brown and Janet McConachy

All births were Rothesay

Any of them look likely?

Steven

Comment

Not guaranteed, but do you have a list of the children for this couple -Scots families were very keen on naming patterns and that may give a hint to the parents names.
      Off to look a censuses - found with the spelling WYNNE in 1841
      Last edited by herky; 12-02-12, 11:18.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

My research on this is somewhat vague.
        What I have is:
        Margaret (or Mary Ann) b c1839 Greenock (edit - possibly both Margaret & Marion (mary Ann) b 1839 - source 1841 census
        Catherine b c1842 Glasgow
        Margaret Wilhemina b 1849 Dover, Kent

Father William was in the Royal Navy, hence the move from Scotland to Dover.

The name has varied from Wyne, Wynne to Wynd.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
          Elaine did it say any of Margaret's parents names anywhere?

Looking on SP there are

30/7/1812 daughter of Patrick Brown and Ann Morison
          24/1/1816 daughter of Angis Brown and Mary McConachy
          27/10/1816 daughter of Alexander Brown and Janet McConachy

All births were Rothesay

Any of them look likely?

Steven
          Problem is I don't know which one is the likely one! At the moment I have made a note of Angus and Mary, but this was obviously a guess as I have no evidence to back it up.

I cannot find any reference to Margaret's parents.
          Elaine

Comment

Census so far:

1841 Scotland - transcribed as Wynne
            Cartsburn Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire

1851 England - Margaret Wynd and children
            http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...f1=&f2=&f5=&f1

1871 Scotland - William a visitor at Shore Road Pier House, Dunoon and Kilmun, Argyll.

Looking at the death certificate from SP of William Wynne (1873) the informant was William Alex Wynne (son) - I don't seem to have found him yet!
            Elaine

Comment

Just looked at the 1841 census transcription - strange what you find when you look at something a second time round! There is a Daniel Brown listed.
              Will the image of this on SP give a relationship in 1841 or is it like England/Wales where relationships were only listed from 1851.

Elaine

Comment

1871 - William is with the Brown family in Dunoon - pos his brother in law or some relation to his wife.
                If it was the brother in law then researching him could get Margaret's ancestry.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Have I got the right couple in 1841? The only thing that doesn't fit is their ages - Wlliam 25 and Margaret 20. That couple have a Daniel Brown with them aged 20 which could possibly be Margarets brother? Also 2 children - Marion and Margaret aged 1.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Why do I never remember to check for any more posts before I state the obvious :o:D
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                      1871 - William is with the Brown family in Dunoon - pos his brother in law or some relation to his wife.
                      If it was the brother in law then researching him could get Margaret's ancestry.
                      Now why didn't I think of that!!!!

Will the census image give me a relationship? I've got some credits on SP so not asking anyone to look it up for me, just don't want to waste them!
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Just looked at the 1841 census transcription - strange what you find when you look at something a second time round! There is a Daniel Brown listed.
                        Will the image of this on SP give a relationship in 1841 or is it like England/Wales where relationships were only listed from 1851.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...303642&recoff=
                        1841 Scots census don't usually give relationships, not even "head". After 1841 relationships show.
                        herky

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          Why do I never remember to check for any more posts before I state the obvious :o:D
                          Easily done .. busy thinking whilst others are typing!
                          Elaine

Comment

1841 Scots census don't usually give relationships, not even "head". After 1841 relationships show.
                            Cross posting here! Thanks Herky. I'll take a look at the 1871 census image.
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              Oh I do that all the time Chrissie!

Just spent ages looking for stuff for a contact (not FTF) last night - felt quite proud of myself sending her stuff, only to find if I had turned the page, she had it already - aghhhh.
                              Sorry - going off topic.
                              herky

Comment

On IGI - dates are a little out - there is a Margaret Brown from Rothesay, Bute, birth December 1811 - parents Alexander Brown and Margaret Currie, extracted record.
                                Alexander Brown (pos for 1871 census) b 1820 (but that one is submitted) same parents.
                                Daniel Brown b 1814, again submitted, same parents.
                                All b Rothesay, plus - a Cathrene, Janet, Mary and George.
                                Last edited by herky; 12-02-12, 11:52.
                                herky

Comment

Cross posting here! Thanks Herky. I'll take a look at the 1871 census image.
                                  Oh well, that didn't help. Just says visitor, no relationship.

I'll research the Brown family on the 1871, as well as the Daniel Brown on 1841 and see if I can get them all back to the same family.
                                  If I do, am I going to have to make an asumption here? eek! :(
                                  Elaine

Comment

On IGI - dates are a little out - there is a Margaret Brown from Rothesay, Bute, birth December 1811 - parents Alexander Brown and Margaret Currie, extracted record.
                                    Alexander Brown (pos for 1871 census) b 1820 (but that one is submitted) same parents.
                                    Daniel Brown b 1814, again submitted, same parents.
                                    All b Rothesay, plus - a Cathrene, Janet, Mary and George.

I have traced the Alexander Brown from the 1871 census forward until his death in 1915. The death entry on SP shows his parents as Alexander Brown (deceased) and Mary Brown (MS Currie) (deceased).

I am not sure where I go from here? I somehow need to confirm that Alexander was Margaret's brother.
                                    Elaine

Comment

I have traced the Alexander Brown from the 1871 census forward until his death in 1915. The death entry on SP shows his parents as Alexander Brown (deceased) and Mary Brown (MS Currie) (deceased).

I am not sure where I go from here? I somehow need to confirm that Alexander was Margaret's brother.
                                      I have exactly the same problem with one of mine. I have been searching for years and although I have a feeling that 2 people are siblings, I have no way to prove it. Actually mine were born the same period - before census records - so a real headache.
                                      herky

Comment

There is a tree with this family (Brown/Currie) on Ancestry!
                                        herky

Comment

Working...
                                        X