interesting database for iceland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting database for iceland!

iceland seems to have a very small population, and now they have a database where you put your name and your 'interests' name, and it will tell if your related. now why can't england or ireland have something like that in place? hahaha

Blimey, Kyle, I don't like the address much!

OC

Comment

i thought it was quite interesting haha. the site claims to have information on individuals there from 1,200 years ago. handy if your icelandic i guess.

Comment

Well, actually, funnily enough, my 5 x GGM was apparently from Iceland, if the results of a mt-dna project on her home village in Scotland are to be believed.

Wonder why I cannot stand the cold, then?!

OC
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 12-02-12, 10:55. Reason: spelling

Comment

Seems a bit extreme to have a site for helping you avoid incest!

I think that term only applies when it's a sibling or other very close relative which hopefully you will know about and anyone more distant is not a problem - first cousins marrying is deemed OK so beyond that must be fine too!

The problem is of course if someone was the illegitimate offspring of your near relative but presumably the records would not identify that so really if it has such good records it is a genealogical resource rather than what it purports to be.

Margaret

Comment

i thought it had some DNA in that source, as well as pedigrees, archival records etc. i think because of the relatively small population, the country would try to prevent close cousins marrying, particularly if they have been doing for generations like royals did lol

Comment

Well in UK 1st cousins can marry and you can't get closer cousins than that!

There is a huge debate about this as in USA some states follow the UK and others don't allow 1st cousin marriages. Apparently research does not support the argument that there is more risk of genetic defects with these marriages than from marriages amongst the population in general.

Margaret

Comment

Margaret

It's not clear to me who has started this website and where their information comes from. If it consists of self-reported family trees, well, we all know what use that will be.

I agree, first cousin marriages are no more likely to produce a genetic problem, unless one already exists, than any other match.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Margaret

It's not clear to me who has started this website and where their information comes from. If it consists of self-reported family trees, well, we all know what use that will be.

I agree, first cousin marriages are no more likely to produce a genetic problem, unless one already exists, than any other match.

OC
                  Seems like a nice moneymaking opportunity! and as usual feeding on people's fears and lack of knowledge.
                  Margaret

Comment

i mean they are probably trying to avoid successive cousin on cousin marriages. once or twice in your ancestry over like 200 years is harmless, but if your ancestors were first cousins for like 3 or more direct generations, and double cousins somewhere lol like the bourbon's and hapsburgs, then you have problems!

Comment

I understand what you are getting at but surely 300,000 people is quite a substantial gene pool even if they are inter related along the way. Eevn ancient cultures knew instinctively that they needed to mix n' match as it were by marrying people from other villages etc.

Still it's an interesting topic and would be even more so if we could see how broad the base was at the outset of the population there is now in Iceland.

Margaret

Comment

My ancestors continually married double cousins for 400/500 years and as far as I know, there is no genetic problem. They certainly had a gene pool of less than 300,000!

If there was a serious genetic problem in Iceland, I am sure the world would have heard about it by now. Also, most people anywhere in the world would know if they were marrying a first cousin. Beyond that, it does not matter genetically except in extremely rare genetic diseases, which again, the family would already know about.

I also think the base may have been broader than a population of 300,000 suggests. Iceland had historically strong trading links with Scotland (fishing) so there was a brisk exchange of genes for an unknown number of centuries - small doesn't necessarily mean isolated.

I think this is a money maker myself.

OC

Comment

Oh, haha! Guess who has funded the site and the "Book of Icelanders".

It's a genetic/pharmaceutical company! A free data collection tool for them.

OC

Comment

haha yes probably, but i find it hard it hard to believe recessive genes don't come into play with descent first cousin marriages for centuries.

Comment

I would agree that if there were people who were descended from a whole long line of 1st cousins there might be more risk of genetic defects arising but I can't belive that would be likely and as OC says the island was not isolated and even for cousins who knows the fathers especially in fishing ports!

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                              X