Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody researching the surname Kett? or Wade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anybody researching the surname Kett? or Wade?

Hi,

Would be interested to hear from any Family Tree Forum members who are researching the 'Kett' or Wade Kett family. Particulary Kett's in Greenwich.

Thanks

have you looked at the gedcom database? its on the bar at the top. and maybe if you have specific queries, you can say what it is your after, and the brilliant guys here can help!

Comment

plenty of Ketts on the 1901 census for London.
      any particular persons you are stuck on ?

Jan

Comment

Thanks - Janet and Kyle, Myself and family are looking for the birth of a John Kett (Music Master) probably born c1780 - married to a Sophia. They had their son John Wade christened on 16th Dec 1804 at St Alphage Greenwich Kent. Our family are researching our Gt. Grandfather John Wade Clinton Sale. We are now quite doubtful that he was a 'Sale' as have found no record for his birth. We have searched online with Ancestry,Genes Reunited, Familysearch.org. Have travelled to London and searched the Westminster Archives. Had a search done for him at Greenwich Heritage Centre and are still searching. We know all about his life from 1851 as an actor and writer and family man, but cannot find him on an 1841 Census - mainly because we do not know if he is calling himself a 'Sale' or 'Wade' or 'Clinton'. The only record we can find that fits with his date of death in 1880 and a 'poem' a family member found in an old newspaper online dated 1844 in which he is talking about his 40th birthday is the 'John Wade' born to John Kett and Sophia (as above). On his marriage cert dated 1851 he names himself John Wade Clinton Sale and his father as a John Bernard Sale. We have lots of information on this family and it's members dating back to the early 1700's, John Bernard had all his 3 daughters christened at St. Margaret's Westminster where he was employed as a Lay Vicar, so why we cannot find his son christened there is a mystery to us. The Kett's seem to be friends of the 'Sale's as they have a Sophia Kett in both 1798 and 1801 as a Witness to two of the Sale marriages. Also we have George Charles Sale - brother to John Bernard Sale - marrying a Sophia Kett in 1826. John Wade Clinton drops the name of Sale around 1852, as we have seen from records of his childrens' births, although sometimes he inserts the name of 'Sale' as a middle name for a couple of his children. We know he was obviously well schooled and well written, so was he taken in and adopted by the Sale family if perhaps his parents had died at a young age, or was he taken in by the Kett's because his father had had an affair?
        The story in the family was that he was osatracised by his family for becoming an actor and refusing to go into the Church as his father and grandfathers had.
        We have found an 1841 Census for George Charles Sale and Sophia Sale (nee Kett) living at No. 30 Vincent Square in the parish of St. John the Evangelist and then discovered that on John Wade Clinton's death certificate - he died at No.29 Vincent Square in 1880 (next door to No. 30 in the same parish). Was he the brother of Sophia Sale (nee Kett)? I recently asked Greenwich Heritage Centre Archives to search for the Death of a Sophia Kett between 1804-1815 (mother of John Wade Kett) in case she had died in childbirth or died young, they returned a nil result. We wonder also if he is from a Wade family, or a Wade -Kett family and where does the Clinton come in?
        My Gt. Grandfather also put 'Greenwich' down on his Census forms as his place of birth.
        Hoping somebody can help.

Comment

Hi, your post caught my eye as there is a very old Kett family in this area of Norfolk

I am getting old, but I am afraid Im confused by all the detail in your posting. Could you split it up so we know exactly who you are looking for at the moment and how you got to that person. Yo

I thought you were looking or a John Kett born c1780 (there is one in Tower Hamlets born to William and Eliz in 1778, but probably not your chap)Re John Wade Kett born Greenwich, where do all the other names comes in?

Another odd thing, I just saw on ancestry an apprenticeship/freeman record 1789 in London re a John Kett "son of Wade of Norwich". Seems too much of a coincidence?

Following on from that info, there are a couple of baptisms for Wade Ketts in Norwich area on freereg- most likely father being Wade Kett, son of Jane and Wade Kett baptised 1747/48 in Lopham.

Then there is a John Ives Kett son of Wade Kett and Mary baptised Norwich St Peter in 1775.

There is a John Ives Kett dying in Islington at the age of 4 in 1780

In- 1773 there is a Robert Wade Kett baptised, parents Wade and Mary in Holborn

As the name Wade features in your tree as a middle name- and its very unusual as a first name, Id think Norfolk may be of interest in this line?
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 15-02-12, 14:16.

Comment

i'm with heather, it was nice to see that a lot of work had been put in, but i couldn't even begin to think where to look for help. obviously it's a complicated family, and what heather has found is worth looking into. but are you looking for information on the actor that changes his name, or his parents?

Comment

WADE research

Hi, I am not exactly researching WADES but at one time I thought I was! There seems to be quite a few in Exton, Rutland. There are also some in March in Cambridgeshire going back a bit. The historian at the local museum in March which has copies of church registers also, told me that the name Wade means exactly what it sounds like - "near a river you can wade across". March also has named it school after a Wade - the Neil Wade School! Stamford, Lincolnshire also has some.

Sue
              Last edited by Sue1; 18-05-13, 19:03.

Comment

Working...
              X