3 different birth registrations for the same person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 different birth registrations for the same person

Can anyone explain why William Donovan born Maidstone 6/1/1915 whose mother had a maiden name of Carter but also a widow's name of Sullivan prior to marrying James Donovan, should have his birth registered 3 times under references Dec 1915 2a 1537, Dec 1915 2a J31 and Jun 1931 2a 1565? This is from FreeBMD. Was his birth in 1915 not registered until 1931? If so, how is it that he is shown twice on the 1915 register - was that not prepared at the time?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

when did the mother marry James Donovan? 1930s?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

She married, secondly, James Donovan in Dec 1907 Maidstone 2a 1653
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I am not sure, the only thing that I can possibly think of was that for some reason there were errors on the original cert so that would mean an amendment in 1915, but then again that doesn't account for the 1930s one though. (not unless he changed his name?).. The logical thing I think to do would be to contact the office and ask them why..
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Are you absolutly sure that the two 1915 entries are for the same person? They look like two different people to me

William J, mmn Collins, born YARMOUTH

William, mmn Sullivan, born MAIDSTONE

OC

Comment

Have a look at this thread about the same subject http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...for-same-child it's possibly to do with the parents of the child not being married at the time of birth.

Margaret

Comment

But why would the same child be registered in two separate quarters, with two different maiden names and in two entirely different areas, one with a middle name J, the other without.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Are you absolutly sure that the two 1915 entries are for the same person? They look like two different people to me

William J, mmn Collins, born YARMOUTH

William, mmn Sullivan, born MAIDSTONE

OC
                The Yarmouth one is Q/E March 1915 and I don't think its related.

If you look at the image for the 2 in Q/E Dec 1915 the first is typed into the main body of the page and says

DONOVAN William (MMN) Sullivan Maidstone 2a 1537

The second is handwritten at the bottom and is linked with an x to the typed entry. It is identical apart from the last bit that says 2a J31 (That relates to the next entry in Q/E June 1931). FreeBMD explains this as a possible late entry. I don't think there are 3 registrations - the handwritten entry just links the 2 others together. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to try and get the certs. I wonder whether Maidstone would be able to give any more info?
                Jackie

Comment

Ah, sorry, I was thrown by the birth date of 6 Jan 1915 in post #1. A very late registration then, if it didn't appear until Dec Q.

I agree, one registration (Dec 1915) with a cross reference linking it to an amendment in 1931. What the amendment is, is anyone's guess - maybe correcting the birth date, lol!

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X