• Show
Clear All

• 1911 census address look-up, please

Can someone do me an address look-up, please, for:

Malt House,
    Picadilly,
    Hurley,
    Warwickshire

Although Hurley is in Warks, it comes under Tamworth, Staffs registration district and Ancesty hasn't indexed Staffs yet.

I'm hoping to find a famly called Starkey living there.

Thanks in advance
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Might be easier to start with the family you are hoping to find. Can you give us some info on the Starkey family.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Might be easier to start with the family you are hoping to find. Can you give us some info on the Starkey family.
      Not much at all really.

One of my g.uncles was KIA in WWI. He was already a widower with two small children (age 8 and 4). His personal effects (a leather purse and a steel mirror - how sad is that?) were returned to his 8yo son c/o Mrs H Starkey, Malt House, etc.

I'm wondering who she was (i.e. why she took in the children). I know that she wasn't one of my g.uncle's sisters.

STG
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 08-02-12, 11:58.

Comment

From what I can see Hurley comes under the registration district of Tamworth.
        Doing a search on Ancestry you come up with the following, none of which match the address you have.

Elaine

Comment

Yes, Ancestry is frustrating like that.

Have done a bit of Googling* and it seems that The Malt House was/is a pub.

STG

* other search engines are available

Comment

I have tried elsewhere to find the address for you but no luck except to say it looks to me that Piccadilly is the name of an area near to Hurley but separate from it here's a link to googlemaps streetview.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
              Yes, Ancestry is frustrating like that.

Have done a bit of Googling* and it seems that The Malt House was/is a pub.

STG

* other search engines are available
              Isn't that pub in another village Kingsbury?

Comment

> I have tried elsewhere ...

You have. I remember now. Sorry.

I've started volunteering in our Local Studies Library which, amongst other things, involves sitting in on the Family History courses - no hardship there then, eh? This week's class was on military history and it has inspired me to try to find out more about my two g.uncles who were KIA in WWI.

When the weather's better I think I'll take myself off to Hurley/Kingsbury/Picadilly to try to get a better lie of the land.

STG

Comment

There looks to be a motorway between Kingsbury and Piccadilly now with Hurley the same side as Piccadilly.

I did look at all the Starkeys in Tamworth but no one seems to live at the address you quoted.

Where were the boys in 1911?

Margaret

Comment

> Where were the boys in 1911?

Joseph was in Shirebrook, Notts, with his wife and family. Wife died in 1912, registered in Mansfield. Sometime between then and 1916 he moved back to Hurley.

On his Attestation papers which, calculated from the age given, were probably completed in late 1914, in answer to the question "Have you resided outside your father's house for three years?" it says "Yes, Mrs Starkey, Hurley, Athersone".

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                      > Where were the boys in 1911?

Joseph was in Shirebrook, Notts, with his wife and family. Wife died in 1912, registered in Mansfield. Sometime between then and 1916 he moved back to Hurley.

On his Attestation papers which, calculated from the age given, were probably completed in late 1914, in answer to the question "Have you resided outside your father's house for three years?" it says "Yes, Mrs Starkey, Hurley, Athersone".

STG
                      I suppose the best thing to check is the Electoral Register which would be in the local library and the librarians may very well be happy to tell you who was at the address in the years you have identified.

Margaret

Comment

Yep. I'll see what I can find out from the ERs.

Thanks for your help.

STG

Comment

Working...
                        X