Cross Trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Trades

There's been discussion before about citizens of one Company that didn't include Freedom of the City (sorry about word choices, but I'm not sure of the correct vocabulary!), would seek the Freedom of another Company that could provide the Freedom of the City.

I'm looking at an indenture that reads (names are just abbreviated):

"JC, the younger son of JC of Duke Street St Georges in the East Exciseman doth put himself apprentice to WL Citizen & Fishmonger by Trade a Carpenter and living in Lombard Street"

* So, can I infer that Carpenter's Guild didn't include Freedom of the City of London?

* I have references to JC in 1827 being a Carpenter, but being admitted to the Freedom of the Fishmonger's Company - he was following in the path his master used?

* Finally, are there records about Excisemen?

Thanks
    Sarah

There are links about Excise men on our Maritime History page under Smuggling and in particular on here:

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks, Caroline -
      I did search "articles" for excise, but missed the link at the bottom.

Has anyone ever retrieved an excisemen-ancestor's records? Was there anything useful? What time period?

Comment

Working...
      X