charles c clark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charles c clark

I am trying to find out how Charles C Clark died . I believe he died in the Civil War in USA in 1863 at Columbus , Kentucky . Born 1827 Vermont USA.
    His wife was Martha Stevenson , daughter Cordelia Clark. I have a photo of his grave with the inscription ...........
    Born at Duxbury VT.died at Columbus , KY Co . G. (FIND A GRAVE)
    WPA records show Co. C. 35TH.IA , VOL, Inf.G. A. R.
    Is there a clue there as to what battle he was in with the abbreviations.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    EP

If you do a google search for american civil war you find there are many sites that give details of the war and the various battles.

You could also email the site where you found the information and ask what the abbreviations mean.

Margaret

Comment

This may be relevant

If you use the 'find' tool you'll see a Charles C Clark just above half way down the page. It explains where he was born, enlisted and how, when and where he died.
      Jackie

Comment

Jackie ,
        Found him , this is exactly what I was looking for ! He didn`t die in battle ,he died of disease. It always puzzled me how he died in Kentucky when his wife and daughter lived in Elkart ,Indiana. Another brick wall demolished. I can`t believe I found him so quickly ,thanks again .
        EP

Comment

Charles c clark

Margaret ,
          Thanks for advice on other sites , will take a note .
          As you will see the site from Jackie was spot on
          Cheers
          EP

Comment

You're welcome
            Jackie

Comment

G.A.R = Grand Army of the Republic (i.e, the Union (Northern) Army));

some records survive - familysearch has some, tho not online (you can request films to your nearest FHC):
              www.familysearch.org/search/search/index/catalog-search#searchType=catalog&filtered=true&fed=false& collectionId=&catSearchType=keywords&searchCriteri a=grand+army+of+the+republic&placeName=&author_giv enName=&author_surname=

Ah, of course, he didn't survive the war, so he wouldn't have a record in the post-war GAR organization!

What is now fold3.com has many Civil War records, and familysearch does, too.
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 07-02-12, 22:09.

Comment

Photofamily ,
                Thanks for websites, and GAR, hadn`t a clue what that meant . Actually you have given me an idea . I don`t know whether you remember you all helped me with my long lost Stevenson family in Indiana. I still dine out on that developement . Charles Clark `s wife Martha Stevenson had 3 brothers ,one William I know stayed in Indiana ,I got his death record from a contact at the local History Soc in Elkart, couldn`t find a wife .I can`t seem to trace the other two James and John . The websites you gave me might just hold a clue to their whereabouts. I know they survived the War as I got a newspaper clipping from my History contact mentioning that Martha`s two brothers visited her and then returned to their homes in the WEST COAST .That narrows it down a bit !
                Thanks
                EP
                ps
                apologies for not replying to any messages , it`s midnight ,gone to bed.
                Last edited by julip; 07-02-12, 22:47.

Comment

I had another thought while I was raking leaves. Your answer confirms it is a good path to follow:

Veterans & their widows could petition for a war pension. Of course, Charles was not around to do that (!) but his widow could have. To receive it, tho, I don't think she could have remarried, however.

Those records are definitely indexed on fold3.com, possibly indexed on familysearch (sorry, I'm not sure). If you find an index record, you must write to the (US) National Archives and pay something per page to retrieve it. It can be next to nothing, or it can be quite interesting. I've seen a copy of a letter written to the pension board about a lost pension check!

Also, the women's equivalent of the post-war GAR was the WRC - Women's Relief Corp. I think there is still some National group (google them), but I didn't follow up for records. I had the impression when I checked it out that they didn't have surviving records - but I never really thoroughly investigated. Of course, just like any veteran group, enrollment was totally voluntary.
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-02-12, 00:07.

Comment

Would you like help looking for the brothers? If so, would you post a listing of what you do know about them?

Comment

PhotoFamily ,
                      I really would appreciate some help, thanks. Trying to collect all I have on the 3 sons of Robert Stevenson and Agnes Porteous. I have amassed a collection of census ,marriage and deaths for all the family except James ,william and John.

James b 1836 Colombia ,? Ohio
                      William b 1840 Colombia ,Ohio
                      John b 1842 Colombia Ohio,
                      The family moved to Elkart about 1845.

When you all found the family in Indiana, I contacted the local History Soc. , I am a member of our local Soc, I find them very willing to find info. The historian sent me a list of marriages amd deaths for the Stevenson family in Elkart , and this is what I received.

He coudn`t find anything for John b 1842.
                      A death for William B 1840 D 1910 buried in WAKARUSA , ELKART ,Union cem. wifes name Mary ?
                      A marriage for James Mallory ? 1859 to Elizabeth Hampshire in Elkart.
                      and two deaths for Andrew Mallory ,obit , 1943. and Reed L Mallory obit 1945.
                      I am a bit puzzled about the Mallory. On LDS I found a marriage for a James Stevenson m 1859 to Elizabeth Hampshire.
                      Not sure if it is the same person , but the librarian did say on his heading , `of Stevenson Family `
                      Martha , widow of Charles Clark married again to Solomon Fowler,who lived in the fabulous house on his obit page.
                      I do hope you can make sense of this, and thanks for your assistance
                      Evelyn

Comment

Have you found when Agnes & Robert died? Do you have obits for them?

I'm working blind these days - my ancestry sub is not active, so I'm relying on mostly on familysearch and trips to the library.

sarah

Comment

Sarah.
                          Robert died 10th October 1864 aged 63 yrs, buried in Pleasant Valley , Elkart,Indiana. No Obit.
                          Obit from the Bristol Banner ...........summary .
                          Died at her daughter Martha Fowler`s home, Bristol ,Indiana Oct. 7th 1883 aged 81 yrs .Funeral conducted by Rev Buck , pastor of the Presbyterian Church , Constantine , Michigan ,assisted by Rev Hunt M.E.Church Bristol, Elkart. Buried in Pleasant Valley Cem . 6 miles west of Elkart,near their old home.

Hope this helps, maybe a clue in Michigan ?

Thanks
                          Evelyn

Comment

Evelyn -
                            Several ideas, and I'm cramped for time right now:

You've used Findagrave (affectionately known by its initials to its volunteers...) - did you find Robert & Agnes there? They do have memorial pages. You can request photos of their graves - if you do, please be sure to ask the volunteer to photo surrounding graves, especially if they have the same surname. Also, volunteers may know of local resources - if you get a photo, you can inquire about them when you post a thank you.

As I recall, you're interested in the Stevenson line, but the memorial pages manager seems to have a special interest in Agnes:
                            The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. Member Profile: Pat Allan, a Find a Grave.

Have you contacted that person?

Don't know about the Michigan connection. I have ancestors that lived not too far from the Stevensons. My mother tells me that in the westward expansion, the area developed partly in response to the canals that were built, and the whole northern Indiana & Illinois (think Chicago) and southern Michigan and even southern Wisconsin were in trade & commerce & development in concert. So I'm not surprised to see a Michigan connection.

The obits I've seen for relatives in that time frame usually seem to note an out-of-area clergy coming in. I've never heard any rationale - perhaps this person formerly ministered at the church? In these small town churches, maybe there was a clergy-support system, so that a single minister (who may have had a weekday job too?) could obtain assistance?

It is interesting to map out Elkhart, Bristol, Pleasant Valley (there are two, make sure you get Elkhart Co), and Constantine. They are quite close together.

I'm not sure which historical society you contacted, but my impression is Elkhart. It's possible that other small town papers may have had obits for your people too. Osceola looks nearby. I've used the St Joseph Co Public Library - they are quite helpful - but their index of obits doesn't seem to include your Stevensons: http://www2.sjcpl.org/obits/search_form.php

Land maps would be another interesting pursuit...not one I've pursued much. Elkhart library should have info.

I probably can't look again for another week.
                            sarah
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-02-12, 16:21.

Comment

Sarah,

Many thanks for all your info. You have given me a lot to enquire about ,and it looks as though I am going to be very busy. . These websites seem to be very useful , I am going to take a note of them all ! I have the grave site pages for Robert and Agnes , but no sign at all of her two sons James and John. I am pretty sure they moved elswhere. I did ask the history soc about farms in the area ,but they didn`t seem to have anything on that.
                              Will keep plodding on
                              Much obliged to you .
                              Evelyn

Comment

Findagrave doesn't necessarily have all the gravesites for a cemetery. Also, just because there's no picture, doesn't mean there's no gravestone. On the webpage there is a button to request the photo - you'll need to register to make the request.

I've had very helpful volunteers (and been one myself) who have looked at the surrounding sites for other family members. Also, if there is still a cemetery office, you or the volunteer can contact them and request a plat record (been there, done that, too).

bye

Comment

Sarah ,
                                  The information on graves was from the Local historian ,but he did say he had got it from the Cemetry records himself . He also sent me the exact places of the family who were buried there,and the rows they were in,all in row 18,so I am pretty sure he had all the names .He even had the names of some in-laws as well !. Re contacting Pat Allan . I am in contact with her 2 or 3 times a week ,she is the Porteous co- ordinator for all the Porteous families all over the world. She has been a gold mine for my clan . The clan have a reunion every 5 years in the borders country Scotland . I live near Edinburgh and met her last year. she lives in Canada. She is very good at finding graves, but even she is having a a problem. I digress, I have traced all the original families from 1730`s and descendants to the present day, but these two James b 1836 and John 1840 have proved very elusive. I wonder if you had a website for tracing soldiers that fought in the War, the common names might be a problem !
                                  You have been more than helpful . I will let you know if I find anything after next week when you are back
                                  Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                                  X