What might have been

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What might have been

I have a William Walton in my tree on Ancestry , I noticed there was a hint to another tree so I looked . The name was wrong , William Wilton but what struck me was the death . Died 15 April 1912 RMS Titanic North Atlantic .

This really struck home as my Maternal Grandfather Clifford William Willis who was born on the Isle of Wight followed his father to sea and became a Steward , he could have signed on to the Titanic and I would not be here now .

OHs Paternal Grandfather was born in Southampton and was also a Steward on the Ships , so he could have had the same fate .

There were 549 people from Southampton that perrished on the Titanic .

Ken

Yes, it's small twists of fate that determine things in so many ways.

How devastating for the town to lose so many and no doubt some were from the same families.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      Yes, it's small twists of fate that determine things in so many ways.

How devastating for the town to lose so many and no doubt some were from the same families.

Margaret
      It's the sort of thing that happens in (e.g.) naval towns. The married quarters tend to group the wives together, so you get a localised devastation if a ship goes down.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
      X