Watch out for Heir Hunter Email Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out for Heir Hunter Email Scam

The BBC has warned computer users to be on the lookout for emails claiming to come from a daytime TV show, after it was discovered that scammers are using the disguise to grab personal information

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Just reading the wording on that email would make me suspicious as it does not read as good written English which would be expected from a bona fide company engaged in such business - it also echoes precisely the words used in the opening sequences of the show without offering any specific information about an unclaimed estate that the recipient might be entitled to.

I hope no one is/has been fooled.
    Margaret

Comment

Ditto Margaret!

Any company who addressed me as "Hello Dear" would get short shrift. I'd also want to know who gave them my email address.

But of course, people DO get caught out by these scams, so it is as well for us all to be aware.

OC

Comment

Yes, we all hope we wouldn't be daft enough to be tricked by things like this. Sadly we have seen articles and programmes with perfectly intelligent people saying "I should have KNOWN! ......" The more we keep sharing these scams the fewer people will fall for them.

Like OC .... my back would be well and truely up if I got an email addressed Hello Dear!

Anne

Comment

I had an email from "David Cameron" the other day! It said he and William Hague were arranging a account (or summat) in my "favor" to the value of £2,000,000, and all I had to do was give them my bank details ....

Yeah, right.

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            I had an email from "David Cameron" the other day! It said he and William Hague were arranging a account (or summat) in my "favor" to the value of £2,000,000, and all I had to do was give them my bank details ....

Yeah, right.

STG
            Can you forward that to me please ? I could really do with £2M LOL.
            Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X