Ellis Island, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellis Island, New York

Richard Westwood Brown was born in Essex in 1900. November 14 1920, marked his arrival at Ellis Island, New York. I was wondering if anyone might know how I would find out what happened to him after this date. I don't have access to Ancestry, but when I did a search it didn't look as if he made an appearance in the Census. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Catie

Thank you for that information Elaine - hadn't seen that. Very strange. Perhaps he wasn't granted access to USA the first time?

Comment

There are also some entries in the London Electoral REgisters on Ancestry for a Robert Westwood Brown - in London 1926/1928/1929
      Also in the same household Ellen Rose Brown
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Also in the same household Ellen Rose Brown
        Sorry, it is Eileen Rose - and she only appears in the 1929 entry.

Possible marriage
        Marriages Jun 1925
        Brown Richard W
        Lacey Eileen R
        Billericay 4a 1338 *
        Elaine

Comment

Robert could well be connected, but I haven't linked him to my tree as yet. I will take a look at him to see - thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Catiel View Post
            Robert could well be connected, but I haven't linked him to my tree as yet. I will take a look at him to see - thank you.
            Sorry, I am losing it .. blame the cold weather. I meant Richard, not Robert!
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine .

Comment

If they didn't pass the medical they didn't get into the US - when we did the tour of Ellis Island last year they explained the procedure but I can't remember now the criteria for being refused entry.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Haven't looked at the 1920 entry yet - but in the 1922 one he was 4th Officer on the PORT LINCOLN - that had travelled from Cardiff - so looks like he was a mariner rather than a migrant??

refrigerated cargo ship Port Lincoln Cambrian Baroness Clan Graham Maritima 1912 Hawthorn Leslie Hebburn

Comment

1920 entry he was an apprentice on the PORT BOWEN - he has a record on FMP (Merchant Navy Seamen 1918 - 1941) including a photo (a good looking young man!!)

Comment

Thank you for your reply JBee

SueNSW - many thanks for that information - really appreciate you taking the time to look for me. So nice to have a photo as well

Comment

Working...
                      X